hedgehog bonding??? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedgehog bonding???

I got my hedgehog in november which means he has been with me for 3 and a half months. I was just wondering ways to bond with my hedgehog, he still wont let me pick him up, and in order to cut his nails i have to put him on a baking rack and let his feet fall. He never used his wheel before and sleeps all night and all day, he first had a silent spinner but never used it, then i bought him a comfort wheel, and he never used that either. I dont know what else to do, are the wheels too small???? Help me
mocha.gohegdeh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: hedgehog bonding???

Get a pouch or fleece blanket and sit with him while doing things like watching TV or on the computer, dont use gloves to handle him they will mask your scent and you want him to get used to your smell. Also look up LarryT or click The Carolina Storm Bucket Wheels link on top of forum. Wheels should be 12" in diameter for hoggies. Others will be able to give you more info also!
Emma1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi and welcome to HHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocha.gohegdeh
I got my hedgehog in november which means he has been with me for 3 and a half months. I was just wondering ways to bond with my hedgehog, he still wont let me pick him up, and in order to cut his nails i have to put him on a baking rack and let his feet fall. He never used his wheel before and sleeps all night and all day, he first had a silent spinner but never used it, then i bought him a comfort wheel, and he never used that either. I dont know what else to do, are the wheels too small???? Help me
It could possibly be to small. There are a few members of this forum that sell "bucket wheels" that were built specifically with hedgehogs in mind. LarryT, moxieberry, and Lizardgirl are a few that come to mind. I recently switched from a flying saucer to a bucket wheel and I find that Mal runs a heck of a lot more.

What is he doing that isn't allowing you to pick him up? When I go to pick Mal up she always huffles and presents a big ball of spikes. I don't let that deter me I either suffer the pain of the prickles or in the beginning I would use a piece of fleece to pick her up. Be not afraid! Pick up that hedgie!!

The easiest form of bonding, that I've found, is allowing Mal to sleep on my lap in a fleece "cuddle" bag. It allows her to feel secure. After about a month or so, she became so comfortable that she ventured out of the bag and onto my shoulder where she decided to burrow under my shirt....it was a very special moment to realize that she trusted me that much.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Hopefully someone else will be by as well to give their personal experiences.

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hedgies are never too fond of being woken up and such, so they're always a little prickly when you go to pick them up (almost always at least). But don't give in! Pick them up anyway. Use a blanket if you want and then sit with them on the couch for a while with the blanket. Try to get them into a routine. Fiona loves her routine and is upset when its disturbed! Maybe give a treat when your hedgie starts to unball and sniff around. Just don't give in or else they think they can just get all Huffy and you'll leave them alone. They need much love and attention =) as far as nail clipping, that may never get better honestly. And yes look into a different wheel like the others suggested. It may be more comfortable. Is it possible he's wheeling at night when you don't notice? That's common. Or make sure its completely dark and quiet at night. Fiona was a little hard to warm up to me and such but with much perseverance and love, she did. Good luck with yours! Please don't be discouraged.

Rest easy little girl, may you finally be at peace <3
Mommy will always love you sweetie
2/17/11-3/11/13
fionas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bonding with your hedgehog is a time consuming process. Since you've already had your baby 3 1/2 months, you have a little extra effort to put into your bonding routine. I actually have a thread posted on here when Pippin finally Approved me as her Guardian. See thread Here Even then, it was only the beginning of our process. Setting a routine and sticking to it, is really a key factor, IMO. Setting and sticking to a routine is not something that is new to me, as the mother of a child with Aspberger's Syndrome, routine in my home is a necessity not an option. So I sort of treated Pippin like I do my 13 year old son when I first brought her home. I still stick to our daily routine, and she goes out with me at least once a week. She's come to expect this and it has done so much for building a trusting relationship between us.

The way I started was, each morning I check her wheel and feet for poops, clean what needs cleaned, change her food and water (or replace it if she's tornadoed her cage) and I let her sleep the rest of the day. In the evenings I actually pull out her entire enclosure, spot clean as necessary, changing liners and changing out her water. This is usually followed by at least an hour of TV time in her cuddle sack and some explorer play time afterwards. She started watching me from the confines of her sack in the evenings and gradually became more curious about me. Now she actually runs around while I clean her enclosure, and will snuggle up to my knee for a nap while I finish up. I picked Pippin up 3 days before Christmas. It's taken a strict routine and a lot of patience on my part letting her warm up to me on her terms, but the reward I now have is worth every moment of it. I have a hedgehog I can take out into public and is the most relaxed and friendly hog I have ever heard of. I actually took her on a visit to her breeder today, and she commented on how Bomb proof my Pippin is. (We had some surprise guests under the age of 10 and Pippin didn't even flinch.)
So thats my best advice, and the results I have gotten. Every hog is different though. Some are just going to be grumps no matter how much time you spend working with them.
Avarris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome!

I suggest investing in some sleeping/cuddle bags and a carry bag. Toting your hedgehog around while you do things around the house, or taking him out with you when you run errands, can do wonders for socializing him. Also remember to not put him back in his cage if he's acting grumpy toward you - doing so only enforces the behavior, because he views getting left alone as a reward.

If he's very shy, which it sounds like, he may just not wheel when you can see it. Try some flour to see if it's there the next day. Or, if you're seeing any poops on the wheel, you know it's getting used. Bucket wheels or cake topper wheels are definitely worth getting, but a 12" Comfort Wheel is fine as well. If the one you have is smaller than the 12" size, it's too small - I think the next down is 7" or 8". Hedgehogs need a minimum of 10" diameter.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I realize. The bonding won't be an overnight thing, but I want to devote more of my time to my pet, and thanks for giving me ideas to try out with mocha! Thanks for all the suggestions!
mocha.gohegdeh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

i found nail clipping is much easier when you have them in warm water in the sink, sometimes it help to have one person hold the hedgie and someone else clip the nails. Mine love bath time/foot bathes and love to cuddle afterwards lol just an idea, some aren't to fond of water but other love it. Hope this helped!!
momofhedgehogs1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in