new hedgie owner here :) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new hedgie owner here :)

Hello!

I am so proud and excited to say that I will be adopting my first baby hedgie next month. I have done a lot of research to prepare but still have some questions to see what those with experience prefer (heating, cage size, etc)

Cage: I know we need a minimum space of 30x18 for hedgehogs, but I am having a hard time finding cages that are at a reasonable price and bigger than the 30x18 dimensions. I plan to have a wheel, litter pan, food bowl, housing sack, and toys in the cage...I am trying to get an idea if there will be enough room with all of that in a 30x18. I want to get at least 30x30 but cannot find them anywhere.

Heating source: Heat is important-this I know. Have any of you used/heard reports of those "snuggle safe discs" that you microwave and say will retain heat for 10hrs? You place them under the liner of the cage and they keep that area warm for 10 hours or so in the 70-76 degree range.

Wheel: Do your hedgies prefer a standard wheel that attaches to the cage or those new flying saucer design ones?

Dry food: I've researched on food and found most determine light versions of cat food with meat at the top of ingredients. The brands most people recommend are purina pro, or such. Are more generic cat foods okay if the ingredients are listed as the same? I could only assume so. What do you use that satisfies your hedghogs' appetites?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the big day gets closer. Thanks for all of your help!
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to amylynnbales
Default Re: new hedgie owner here :)

Cage: There's a few different options for this. Some people use those sterile bins, the Christmas tree ones. Another option is C&C cages, which are nice but you have to construct them. You can look in the housing section on the board index for help on that.

Heating source: Heat is important. Snuggle safe discs are good when there's a power outage or for a car ride, but a CHE is usually the standard. The discs aren't connected to a controllable thermostat, either. For the CHE, you would get a heating bulb that goes in an approved lamp, and it can clip onto your cage. You get a thermostat and a thermometer for it and it helps regulate the temperature.

Wheel: Both bucket wheels and flying saucer wheels work well. The Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel has been sort of a sensation on Hedgehog Central, and it's what I plan on getting. Either one works though, as long as it has a solid bottom and no seam (like Silent Spinners).

Dry food: Here's the list of approved hedgehog foods from Volcano View Hedgehogs. It's what I was given when I asked the same question: http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/...--produce.html

I hope this helps! And welcome/good luck with your new hedgie!

amylynnbales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

hi and congrats on your new hedgie! I'm going to wait for some others to answer most of your questions since i am also still kind of new to the hedgie world. But i would definitly recommend putting up a few extra dollars on a cage that is the right size as well as good quality and made of the correct materials more suitable for a hedgie. Also, the snuggle safe disks i'm sure would be great for traveling, power outtage, or other emergencies, but you should really get a Ceramic Heat Emitter that's the correct watts to heat up your cage (100W-150W are common). Paying more for the higher quality also goes for the food you feed your hedgie. I'm sure there are off brands that are suitable but the better quality feeds are recommended for the health of your pet. These of course are recommendations, but why would you want to skimp out on the more important things when your hedgie deserves the best care from you? it's better to just spend a little extra on the higher quality and recommended items. That's just my opinion and what i did and in no way am i critisizing your questions, just offering a bit of advice and whatnot. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Hedg-a-ma-hogs
Kpjenk21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi! and thanks for the quick reply

I definitely don't want to "skimp" out on quality for petcare. I am an avid pet lover and know pets are our best friends too I was just curious in terms of size if something like a 30x30 or larger would be most ideal or if hedgies are happy in the standard sizing I have read about (30x18 or 30x24) knowing more space = happier hogs, just seeing what the average size you all have is

I know a lot of name brand pet food is just that-name brand, and hence why I want to check in on if the ingredients are good quality for a hedgehog, if the ones such as pro plan purina are necessary.

Honestly I dont' mind paying more for a happier hedgehog-just curious if this is the trend among most of you or not

looking forward to more posts !
Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Congradulations on your upcoming baby. Please, if you haven't already, read LizardGirl's book. You can download it free. It answers almost all of your questions.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am so proud and excited to say that I will be adopting my first baby hedgie next month. I have done a lot of research to prepare but still have some questions to see what those with experience prefer (heating, cage size, etc)
Congrats!

Quote:
Cage: I know we need a minimum space of 30x18 for hedgehogs, but I am having a hard time finding cages that are at a reasonable price and bigger than the 30x18 dimensions. I plan to have a wheel, litter pan, food bowl, housing sack, and toys in the cage...I am trying to get an idea if there will be enough room with all of that in a 30x18. I want to get at least 30x30 but cannot find them anywhere.
I say look into getting a Ferret Nation or Critter Nation cage if you can (though C&C and sterilite bins are also excellent). These are a favorite for many, and I absolutely love mine. I have a single unit that I converted to having two full floors, and it houses my two hedgehogs very comfortably for the same price as two cheap cages (about $180). It's sturdy and pretty. I have the Ferret Nation, bar style prevents climbing. People who have Critter Nation use coroplast or plexiglass to prevent climbing.

The Nation cages.... best prices I found are on Amazon.com, second-best being the big pet websites like Petco/Petsmart when they put it on sale. Lots of people find Nation cages on Craigslist, too.

The C&C I had before was excellent, but the size of it was awkward in my room and cube furniture has always frustrated me since I was a child.

Quote:
Heating source: Heat is important-this I know. Have any of you used/heard reports of those "snuggle safe discs" that you microwave and say will retain heat for 10hrs? You place them under the liner of the cage and they keep that area warm for 10 hours or so in the 70-76 degree range.
Snuggle Safe Discs are handy to have but not as a primary heat source. I have a small $25 space heater that keeps the small room my cage is in (my bedroom) at about 75 degrees; before that I used a Ceramic Heat Emitter bulb in a large dome on a thermostat. Both methods work well.

Quote:
Wheel: Do your hedgies prefer a standard wheel that attaches to the cage or those new flying saucer design ones?
My hedgehogs absolutely love love love!!! their bucket wheels (I have CSBWs). Saucers are still considered okay for use but some people say it negatively affects hips/gaits, which I sometimes wonder about when I see my hedgehog Quinnlee walking (prev owner had her on a saucer). Bucket wheels are so easy to care for, worth the little extra cash on that point alone! I just use running hot water and towels, vinegar to sanitize.

Quote:
Dry food: I've researched on food and found most determine light versions of cat food with meat at the top of ingredients. The brands most people recommend are purina pro, or such. Are more generic cat foods okay if the ingredients are listed as the same? I could only assume so. What do you use that satisfies your hedghogs' appetites?
Purina is not recommended. Purina One Beyond is the only Purina food to make it in Moxie's list, and even then it's second tier: http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/...--produce.html I love Blue Buffalo, Innova and Wellness. And I will be trying out Fromm's the next time I need to order some food My hedgehog Quinnlee picks out the good food from her bowl first, usually ignoring the lower quality food her prev. owner had her on.

The good thing about hedgies is they do not eat as much as cats/dogs, so much cheaper to feed, especially with high quality food!

Link for you to many of my resources: http://pinterest.com/julian0el/hedgehog-resources/

SouthernSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

You're not necessarily going to want a wheel that attaches to the cage - taking that on and off for the daily cleaning would be a pain. Flying saucers are fine, but they take up more floor space, so I would only use them if you're going with a rather large cage. Bucket wheels and cake topper wheels are the best option - there are a few people on the forum that make them, including LarryT, Lizardgirl, and myself. Shipping cost notwithstanding, bucket wheels and cake topper wheels are a MUCH better value for generally around the same price. Quieter (basically silent), easier to clean, and sturdier than any store-bought wheels.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am so grateful for the replies! I'm glad i've still got a month to go to get supplies. I'll be taking all of the replies into consideration.

Caroline
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Caroline-

You've gotten so many great responses there isn't much of anything to add, except my personal preferences. I would also like to add that Downloading the FREE copy of Lizardgirls book Pet African Hedgehogs: A Complete Care Guide as your first and foremost source of the most up to date information collectively gathered in one place as a start.

Secondly, congrats on your upcoming baby! Food quality and mixes have been a major topic of discussion amongst breeders and owners alike. Moxieberry (or Volcano View Hedgehogs/VVH) has a complete list of foods and their quality on her page, as well as her own mix. I personally order my food from VVH, for several reasons. First and foremost, I trust Moxie's research and experience. She invests so much love and care into her own hedgehogs, be they pets or breeders, I would be a crazy person not to respect the time she has taken to make sure not only her hedgies have a healthy diet, but also us folks across the country that order from her. Secondly, the results I'm seeing with Pippin my 3 1/2 month old hedgie make me happy. She is a healthy 385g, and while gross, well formed and not so smelly poops means a healthy hedgie. Lastly, I'm lazy and don't want to shop around for that many different brands,grind it down to hedgie bite size kibbles, and mix it. Moxie makes it easy for me by mixing it herself and shipping it to people like me.

I am one of the many that prefer the bucket wheels to the flying saucer wheels. I do have mine mounted to Pippins enclosure, and while taking the wheel off for routine cleaning can be a pain, I don't mind it. My Pippin is an odd-unball and only wheels about 3 times a week. If she were a nightly wheeler, I might consider dismounting it and putting it on its stand. You won't know if your hedgie is an avid runner, moderate wheeler, or out and out hates wheeling until he or she comes home. Regardless of which wheeler type hedgie you have, it's a great idea to have one available.

Heating, the most recommended is the CHE (or ceramic heat emittter), followed in a close second to a space heater for the room. The disks are handy for power outages and trips like others have already mentioned. With that, I'll welcome you to the forums... Pull up a chair, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the ride.
Avarris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

UPDATE**

Again, thank you to those that replied with such great suggestions, facts, and encouragement I wanted to update you about what decisions I've made so far.

Cage: I am going with the super pet 40x20x18 cage-Lots of room for the baby to roam I found an AMAZING deal for the cage, new, at only $25 shipping/handling included! It pays to browse around!!

Heating: I am going with the che and thermostat set that Lizard girl sells on her site. After reading more into it, it's not such a big deal to have them and at such a great benefit/safety net for the hedgehogs too

I'm also getting a caketop wheel and sleepsack that she also sells on her site.

Now i'm just playing the waiting game and filling up with ideas for toys/enrichment

i'll post pictures of the baby soon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in