cage isn't here - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default cage isn't here

I ordered a cage several weeks ago...its actually storage cubes. I have nothing but problems with home depot. Everything else I needed was here weeks ago. So, Im getting my hedgie today. I have a large plastic tote that I keep my sewing stuff in and would rather not dump it all out. Can she stay in a cardboard box (the cage is supposed to be here in the next 2 days). would that be ok for the first few days? I mean, I don't mind the inconvenience of dumping out my tote but if a cardboard box (very large) is ok I'd rather do that. My kids are losing their minds right now with excitement. Everthing is sitting here ready except for this one thing! The most important thing.
kvmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: cage isn't here

I can't say for certain, but I'd think a cardboard box would be okay for a day or two. They don't seem to be huge chewers like rodents. It could get gross and soggy with pee and whatnot.

Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can you buy a sterilite bin? I think that would be better than a cardboard box... less of a mess (pee) and they're cheap as well

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to amylynnbales

I think for two days it would be okay as long as it is big enough and tall enough. You could put a bit of your choice of bedding in it along with it's wheel and other things so it feels more like a cage. I think as long as it's warm enough it should work on a very temporary basis.

amylynnbales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. After a night of pee and poop on the box, it'll start to deteriorate. The last thing you need is to wake up one morning and notice that the hedgie dug a hole through the box. Hedgies do have a tendency of burrowing and scratching the bottom of cages, so add in moisture and the box could easily shred.

Also, they tend to be dirty/dusty as it is, and there is no way for you to wash it.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd buy a sterlite bin, I did that with Tangelo because I didn't had time to look for a cage before I could get him (driving 6 hours roundtrip coul only be done on the weekedn and I needed to rescue him ASAP)

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys...came home and my stuff was here. I have a pretty awesome setup I think. I just need to lay the fleece down and get dryer tubing. I also need corrugated plastic for the bottom. Its so cool...but I didn't think about how bad the gaps would be on the bottom. She can't fit through the sides by any means but a leg could slip through the bottoms easily. I'll take a pic in a bit.
kvmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in