Unsanitary Sleeping Spot - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unsanitary Sleeping Spot

So my new hedgehog, Dahlia, likes to sleep in her litter pan underneath her wheel. This is hardly sanitary, but she only sleeps there when I am asleep so i can't monitor her. Is there anything I can do to make her litter pan more undesirable as a bed?? Thank you in advance
MeMyselfandDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Unsanitary Sleeping Spot

It may not be quite as bad as you think. Sophie's litter pad gets shaken clean every day and replaced every other day, and she gets three foot and belly baths a week, so even if she did that it might not be a problem. 'Debris' typically runs off in front of the wheel. The area under the wheel is the cleanest part of her litter pad.

Do you have pictures of the cage, of the space? What are her options? Sophie has her house with a burrow of fleece pieces inside. She also has a 2' PVC tunnel with a 90 degree long-sweep elbow to hide in, and a stack of fleece pieces outside her house.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

What other hideaway/sleeping spots does she have? Hedgehogs like to feel enclosed and "compressed" when they're sleeping, it's more safe, so they like small spaces they can squeeze into. If you're using something like an igloo, that might be your problem - all of mine hate those, there's too much open space inside. Try a sleeping bag if you don't have one already.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
What other hideaway/sleeping spots does she have? Hedgehogs like to feel enclosed and "compressed" when they're sleeping, it's more safe, so they like small spaces they can squeeze into. If you're using something like an igloo, that might be your problem - all of mine hate those, there's too much open space inside. Try a sleeping bag if you don't have one already.
This is exactly my observation as well. Sophie used to use her igloo/burrow every night when she was a baby. But now she is just over a year old and rarely sleeps in her house, even though it has a substantial burrow all ready for her. Her #1 spot recently has been in one of her tunnels, the one that I 'pre-build' a burrow in for her. I stuff it pretty good with fleece strips and squares. Somehow she is able to squirm her way to the middle of the pipe and hardly displace any of the fleece at all.

I don't have a video just of waking her up from that tunnel. This link starts into another video at 12:06, which is when I go after her:
(12:06 into 15:09 = 3:03)
fleece-pieces-house-cover-13-02-06.mp4
http://youtu.be/hCEbhdPHyYk?t=12m9s

Wake up call in her house:
(3:55)
wake-up-call-13-01-05.mp4
http://youtu.be/vEvKBzNcCW0

Wake up call in her front tunnel. Sophie built this burrow entirely by herself, dragging in every single piece that you see me taking out.
(2:47)
front-tunnel-burrow-12-10-2.mp4
http://youtu.be/0drd0Gk-V3Q

Sophie loves her hedgie sacks. I don't use them in her cage. They are only for when she is out with me, but lots of people use hedgie sacks in the cage. For Sophie, the tighter the space the happier she is and hedgie sacks are great for that. She'll try to bore a hole through the back corner. Ha!
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah i just have a long piece of straight pvc, an igloo, and her wheel. I know i should probably get a sleeping bag, it's just that funds are kinda tight. I'd love to give her a bath it's just that I've only had her for almost a week so she isn't totally warmed up to me. She is more of an explorer than a cuddler so she is always trying to find a way out of my hands and out of my lap. haha Maybe i'll try her in the bath tub and see what she does. Thanks for the replies
Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alright I did not see this on coming. I woke up this morning and didn't see Dahlia in the pan, so i thought alright victory, that means i made her igloo more comfortable. Well i go over to the wheel and it's propped up on its side a little. I move it and there's a giant lump underneath the fleece. Turns out she crawled about foot underneath the fleece and pushed herself underneath the litter pan as well. SMH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in