New hedgehog(: - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgehog(:

I brought home Sonik a week ago and I have a few questions about him. First off is it normal for him to sleep a lot right now? Like all day and most of the night he is sleeping. Besides sleeping he eats, drinks, and uses he litter box. I take him out every night for about an hour to play, but he doesn't like being woke up at all. Also my other question is about his wheel. He won't use it, is that common for baby hedgehogs or for hedgehogs that are brought to a new home? The wheel is also big, so could it be too big for him?I put him on it and try to spin it for him, but he usually just jumps off. Please help me. Also if you have any tips for a new hedgehog owner like myself, that would be great! (:
Soniknme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgehog(:

People are going to ask about his heating set up and if you have a thermometer and know the cage temp.

They'll also likely ask how old he is and what you're feeding him.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like he's probably a baby, in which case it's perfectly normal for him to sleep most of the time. But as RondackHiker said, it'd be good to know what kind of heating system and what temperature he's at too! Sometimes they'll be less active if they're not warm enough. What kind of wheel do you have for him? Are you sure he's not using it at all at night, when you're sleeping? If you're not positive, you can try sprinkling some flour on the wheel and see if it's been disturbed in the morning. If he's not using it, some possible reasons could be wrong kind of wheel, wrong size of wheel, wheel feels unsteady or unstable to him, he has a hard time getting on the wheel, or it's not warm or dark enough at night for him.

For further advice, I definitely recommend checking out this care book written by LizardGirl, one of our moderators - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... index.html It's free to download and has a lot of great information in it. Definitely a must-have for any hedgehog owner, old or new! The forums are also a great source of information, and you can find answers easier by using the search feature next to the "new topic" button. If you still can't find answers in the book or with the search feature, definitely feel free to ask.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just as an add on, putting him on the wheel and spinning it yourself is probably going to make the hedgehog like it less. If they don't think they can control it, they're not really going to stay on it. As lilysmommy said, a lot of hedgehogs are shy about running and will only do it at night. That's a normal prey animal behavior.

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sonik is only 2 months old and I have the room set to 76 degrees so I don't think he is too hot or cold. Also I feed him cat food (not sure the brand). I put flower on the wheel and found out that he is definitely not using it.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You need to have a thermometer in the cage - temperature in the room can vary a couple degrees depending on where in the room you are, or if there's drafts. You want to make sure the cage is staying warm enough, and staying at a steady temperature, not just the room's temp. He's definitely a baby, which would explain sleeping a lot.

What kind of wheel do you have? And what kind of bedding do you have?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

The cage has a thermometer and is kept at 76 degrees. The wheel is a comfort wheel and for bedding I use fleece.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If he's still not using the wheel, he may feel like it's not steady enough. Comfort Wheels can be tippy, especially when they're on fleece bedding instead of having the wire base buried underneath wood shavings or some other kind of loose bedding. Try securing the wheel to the cage wall, with a twist-tie or something like that. Make sure it's loose enough that the wheel can still turn freely, and won't bang on the cage. Then give him a few days and see if he realizes that it's more steady now. If he still doesn't like it, you could try buying or making a bucket wheel to see if that appeals to him more. They usually have a steadier base (since most people use a PVC pipe base), and smoother surface (no ridges, which also makes them much easier to clean), so that might work better for him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in