Tons of Questions - Nervous - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tons of Questions - Nervous

Hi, I just brought my female hedgehog Madden home on Monday night. She's very shy - I understand that that is normal for a while. On Monday night and Tuesday she was eating and pooping normally. I feed her purina naturals with high fiber and protein. Tuesday night I also gave her some cottage cheese and raspberries - I believe she ate them, she was also drinking. (I'm not positive because she likes to walk in her food dish) I don't think I saw her eat yesterday (Wednesday) and I don't think she ate last night. I haven't seen any new poop either. Is something wrong?

-I keep my room at 75 degrees ALWAYS
-Large cage with litter box - she has used the litter box
-Flat ceramic dish
-Fleece bedding
-Water bottle
-My tshirt to sleep in
-Tube to hide in

Also, when I was giving her a bath in non scented baby shampoo, luke warm water, she bit me. very hard, and wouldn't let go even when I pushed into her. Was she just scared, or does she hate me?

I don't know if she was socialized before I bought her. She was born on July 1, from a lady who has been breeding for 20-something years. Is there any indication that she will ever like me? I know it takes patience, but I feel that she shouldn't be as shy still... or if it's normal for her to still huff and hide every time I come near her.

She was running around my room yesterday and smelling everything, she seemed fine. I'm just nervous that she's regressing in health or something. Please help!!!
zebracakes210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: Tons of Questions - Nervous

It's normal for them to be shy. It's a big life change for them, so they may be acting strange for a while. The food will need to be changed over slowly to a better food. I feed mine Blue Buffalo Weight control (http://bluebuffalo.com/cat-food/bc-weig ... animal=cat). You want the first few ingredients to be meat, not grain like most Purina foods are.

I would steer away from treats for the first two weeks to let her get used to being with you and the surroundings, and to keep her stomach settled.

You need to go out and purchase a thermometer like this: http://www.thatpetplace.com/terrarium-t ... er-digital to check the air temperature in the cage. The air near the termostat can be vastly different then the air in the cage.

Does she have a wheel?

Water bottles can chip teeth, cut tongues, and make it hard for hedgehogs to drink from. Using a water bowl is much easier on them.

Does she have an igloo or something to sleep in, or just your shirt?

Baths are stressful on hedgehogs, so to undergo a life change plus get a bath could have thrown her over the hedgie edge to bite. Some hogs just hate baths to begin with and will bite no matter what.

Honestly, she's scared. She will take time to get used to the new environment. It's been under a week.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a tube for her to sleep in - she seems to like it. At the moment she is burrowed into my tshirt.
I have a wheel, but she hasn't used it yet.
So, she will be okay eventually?
What do you think about her not eating anymore? She was eating without a problem for two days.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most animals take a little while to adjust to a new home. She'll be fine.

Keep spending time with her, keep an eye on her... she'll be a-okay! <3
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh yes I forgot to mention that she has slept on my tummy during TV time, I had her in a blanket that I use every night when I sleep in an attempt to have her more accustomed to my scent. I cuddle with her every night around 8 or 9 so that she has been awake for a while - I usually let her run around the room for a half hour to make her tired and have her used to the smells.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

that's great. My hedgehog, Mr. Prickles is a bit of a grump butt. I just accepted him as he is.

But he's the World's Greatest Snuggler... he loves nothing more than burrowing in my shirt while I chill in the evenings. That's all he wants to do, but it's fine. i can stroke his back, watch him splat and snooze and sneak the occasionally kiss on him.

Every hedge is a little different and you'll find what works great for you and Madden.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholstein11
that's great. My hedgehog, Mr. Prickles is a bit of a grump butt. I just accepted him as he is.

But he's the World's Greatest Snuggler... he loves nothing more than burrowing in my shirt while I chill in the evenings. That's all he wants to do, but it's fine. i can stroke his back, watch him splat and snooze and sneak the occasionally kiss on him.

Every hedge is a little different and you'll find what works great for you and Madden.
Thanks I hope she's just shy still and will want to cuddle with me and let me pet her

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in