once again .... just wondering - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry once again .... just wondering

So upon reading the posts on this site i find people saying more and more that u shouldnt breed or mate hedgehogs just cause you need money and sell them or cause u just cause u want hoglets. Now my question is(no offense) why do breeders do it?
charleston213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: once again .... just wondering

I will start by saying, I am not, nor would I ever like to become a breeder. This is just my opinion.

The reason that HHC members deter people so strongly from breeding is because, generally speaking, all the person is interested in is seeing babies, or in making money off of the babies. They do not bother to take the painfully slow steps needed to determine if they want to or even should become a breeder eventually.

Shockingly, there are some people who, after owning a hedgehog for less than a year, decide that it is a good idea to breed. How could that person possibly think they know absolutely everything there is to know about hedgehogs?? What they don't realize is that just because they can doesn't mean they should.

There are the logistics: Do you have the money set aside in case something goes wrong during the pregnancy? Can you afford multiple heat set ups for the hoglets once they have been weaned? Can you afford wheels for all the babies? Etc.

Then there are the more difficult aspects: Are you prepared to see the carcasses of half eaten babies? Are you prepared emotionally to lose your hedgehog if it is a difficult birth? Are you prepared to take the utter heartbreak that comes with being a breeder? We all know that there are massive highs (seeing a baby anoint for the first time, tickling the wrinkly little bellies, watching them grow up), but what we seem to forget are the rock bottom lows that these dedicated and wonderful breeders must go through.

They discourage breeding because if you are not willing to go the correct route and train under a licensed and experience breeder and take your time being an apprentice then you probably do not have the discipline, ethics, maturity and responsibility to even think about becoming a breeder. Unless you are willing to take the correct path, not only are you doing yourself and everyone in this community a disservice, but you are not thinking of what is best for the hedgehog as a breed. And that is the worst thing you could possibly do.

I'm not saying that there aren't breeders out there who, ultimately, are looking to make a quick buck, but in my experience, most of the breeders I have encountered are in the business to provide loving companions for people like me. Why do hoglets cost upwards of $125? A few thoughts: the supplies that go into raising the hoglet, and also have you ever stopped to think 'what if hedgehogs only cost $50?' Well, then everyone who wanted one, could buy one! There are enough people out there as is that spend the $150 or whatever, who decide to get rid of it quickly, or who don't know how to care for it properly, could you imagine a world in which anybody walking down the street could afford to stop by the shops, so to speak, and pick up a hedgehog for the house? I shudder to think of all of the abandoned and mistreated hedgies there would result in that paradigm.

Hope that wasn't too much of a ramble. It's late, and I become a bit verbose when I'm up at this time.

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good breeders get into breeding purely out of a love of hedgehogs, an interest in sharing this love with other people and making sure those people get healthy babies and correct information, and most importantly, a desire to improve the hedgehog breed as a whole. Good breeders don't expect to make money simply because you do not make money breeding any animal at all if it's done correctly. To breed hedgehogs responsibly and in a way that guarantees (as much as possible) healthy, happy babies, you need to do plenty of research both on hedgehogs and their care, and on hedgehog pedigrees and other breeders in the area so you can buy hedgehogs that have clean lines and are good for breeding. That can be plenty expensive on its own, along with buying supplies, and setting aside $1000 for each female in order to have emergency money for complications and vet bills. It is not responsible to breed hedgehogs that don't have a pedigree - you have no way to look up their relatives and see how they die, to see if they have WHS or other genetic disease in their background that they could easily pass on to their offspring.

And breeding any animal just because you want babies is a bad idea. Babies are cute - and then they grow up and then you just either want more babies or get bored of the new ones and sell them. Not to mention that every time you breed a female animal, you're instantly putting her health and life at risk. Breeding doesn't always go badly, and not even usually. But there is always a risk, and if the female dies during birth or afterwards from complications, it'll be because the owner decided to breed her.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok i dont plan on being a breeder i was just wondering
And thanks for helping me understand
charleston213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Good breeders get into breeding purely out of a love of hedgehogs, an interest in sharing this love with other people and making sure those people get healthy babies and correct information, and most importantly, a desire to improve the hedgehog breed as a whole.
Exactly this.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have zero interest in brreding (I've got enough **** kids in my house as it is ) but I find these questions and answeres fascinating!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good breeders are in it for quality pogs and temperament. I've seen some amazing breeders that make nothing off their pogs - and they are quite happy that way.
However, that being said, there are a few breeder's out there that I do believe are out for money, just like there are several hedgehog breeding mills that I am now aware of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in