Just brought a year old hedgie home, questions!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just brought a year old hedgie home, questions!!!

So i just adopted a new hedgie today from one of my classmates at my college. It was her boyfriends hedgehog and he is about a year old. I named him Oscar.

Ive noticed Oscar has a small bald patch near one of his shoulder, and his skin looks sort of dry. How can i fix this? Should I give him some sort of special bath? I don't think he has fleas or mites (hopefully.)

Also, I made him a hedgie bag a few weeks back before i adopted him, and hes currently hiding in it. He has his face to the inside of the bag and Im worried he might suffocate if i leave him in there. But i can hear him snuffling and stuff right now, and he likes to squirm in it and kind of dig into the corner of the bag, so far. Its made from fleece and he has room in there for air to get in but im still nervous. Should i be worried at all?

Also, he sort of smells. Ive read that if hedgies are healthy they shouldn't give off an odor, but he was also in a box on his way here and he pooped in his box. There was some solid poop and also some stuff that looked like oatmeal. Was he throwing up beforehand?

Right now he's in his cage snuffling around in his hedgie bag and having fun. Hes got food and fresh water. This may seem like a long post but I appreciate any help!
spiderpancakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to HappyHedgies
Default Re: Just brought a year old hedgie home, questions!!!

Just a few questions to help get you some information:

What type of cage is Oscar housed in?
What's the temperature of his cage at?
What type of bedding is he on?
What type of food is he eating and how much?

For the dry bald patch, it could be mites. You may want to take him to the vet just for a check up to check him over since he is in new care now. You could give him a Aveeno Baby Oatmeal bath to help sooth and moist his skin and maybe add some flax seed oil to his food and on his skin after his bath.

Don't worry about him suffocating in the hedgie bag. It's completely normal for a hedgehog to wedge themselves into a small space giving an illusion that they might not be able to breathe. If he couldn't, he would move to where he could

If you just traveled with him and you found some "oatmeal" looking stuff, he probably got sick. Sometimes when we transport our hedgehogs, they get car sick on the drive.
HappyHedgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hedgie can get car sick. Try giving him a little bath with some oatmeal or Aveeno for dry skin. It'll make him smell better so you can get a bse on him. If he stinks after his bath- there's a problem. But if he pooped or got sick on himself...well, that'll make anyone stinky.

He won't suffocate. My hedge will sleep with his face completely smushed into my armpit and somehow he breathes. They're sturdier than you think. Animals have a pretty strong survival instinct. A critter covered in quills as a defense isn't going to smother himself in fleece.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, i'll try the aveeno stuff when I can. Since I just brought him home he's still all huffy. And his nails need a trimming real bad too! But im going to have to wait until hes calmed down and adjusted before I can do that. Haha.

And thank goodness, here me and my roommate were thinking he was stuck and was going to suffocate. Thats a relief

I have him in a c&c cage currently. Its a small one, 2x1. I had no more room but his wheel, bed, food bowl and toys all fit comfortably. I also made him a fleece cage liner instead of using shavings. and the temperature is between 22-25 degrees celsius in my room. Im not sure what type of bed he had before - although i know he was in a big fish tank, i think. The wheel that came with him had poop on it D:

And how much would a vet trip cost? I suppose it would depend on what the vet does but if you could give me a rough estimate that would be awesome. Im currently low on funds D:
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Get used to poop on the wheel, that's normal. Most hedgehogs need their wheels cleaned daily. Also get a digital thermometer for the cage itself; the temperature of your room is not generally a good indictator of the actual cage temperature.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well i just gave oscar a bath in the aveeno baby wash (no scent to it) and he already looks better he lost about 4 quills since ive brought him home, i hope he doesnt lose any more
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

some quill loss is normal, like us losing hair. it does happen- so no need to fret there. if it becomes excessive- then it's a problem. you're doing just fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Last night I heard him scratching his back and this morning i found about 9 quills in his cage. That isnt too much, is it? I feel like im asking so many silly questions but better to be safe than sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in