New Albino Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Albino Hedgehog

hi All Ive just Bought a 3 month Albino Hedgehog And just Wanna Make Sure I Have Everything It needs As I Dont Know Loads About Them .

Its got a 3ft Viv With Sawdust , Couple Of toys inside , a House For Its self , a Playing tube to go Inside , Drinking Bowl , Eating Bowl .

And also When I Go to Pick It Up Why Is It Hissing And Making Popping Sounds

Thanks x
Hudds2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Albino Hedgehog

Two things:

One: You're going to want to use a lining other than sawdust, as I've heard it can cause respiratory problems. Fleece liners are what is recommended for little hedgies as it's easy to clean, more comfy for your hedgie, and post a lot less risk than most beddings do. If you really want to give them that sort of bedding I would recommend Carefresh, and freeze it beforehand to avoid mites. You can also use wood beddings, but as I don't know enough about those ones to say which poses a risk to your hedgies health, I will let someone else explain that one. But above all, I would recommend fleece liners.

Also you absolutely need a wheel, this is simply not an option. They will need a large 10-12 inch wheel to get their exercise nightly, and when you get one for your baby, you'll find that they will use this more than anything else you give them. But you can't use just any wheel; there are a lot of wheels that pose a risk to your hedgies health. If you go to a regular pet store, I would recommend the 12 inch Flying Saucer wheel; all of the other wheels at the store (and I Do mean all of them) could be very dangerous to your hedgie, even the 'silent spinner' type that the employees will probably recommend. Don't get any wire/mesh wheels, or the silent spinner, as it could very easily catch claws and toes and cause both minor and serious injury.

The wheel most people decide to use is called the Carolina Storm Wheel, as it is made specifically for hedgies and made completely safe for them; it's also made and sold by a user here on this forum http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/t ... wheel.html

To sum it all up: Do not use Sawdust. Go with either Carefresh or Fleece liners, preferably Fleece Liners. And get your hedgie a wheel.
Also: Make sure your hedgie has at least 4 square feet of room to play around in, minimum. Ideally they'd have more than that, but that is the recommended minimum.

EDIT:
The hissing and popping is completely normal; hedgies are skiddish and nervous, and it could take them a while to warm up to you. I recommend taking a shirt that you've been wearing, or a towel that's got your scent on it, and leaving it in the hedgies cage so they get used to your scent. And keep trying, be gentle with them. Sometimes it just takes hem a while to warm up to you, but eventually you'll be able to hold your baby :] When you're able to pick them up, and you should try and do this for about an hour a day, keep them in fleece or a towel set on your lap as bonding time. Just have patience, hedgies are one thing you absolutely can't rush.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: New Albino Hedgehog

In addition to Alex's advice, I highly recommend you read this care book written by one of our moderators, LizardGirl - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... index.html It's free to download and will give you a ton of information on supplies, care, and handling of your new pet.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in