Hi, I'm thinking about getting a hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi, I'm thinking about getting a hedgie

So, I might be able to get a hedgehog in a year or so, I know it seems like a long time but I really want to be prepared.

I want to know if a hedgehog would be the right pet for me, because I don't want to have a hedgie who is unhappy if I can't care for it properly.

So I live in northern Oregon, which can be 25 degrees in winter and 95 in summer. Our house's heater isn't great and we have no air conditioning. I think the coldest our house gets is like 60 degrees, which I know is too cold for a hedgehog. I'll definitely need a CHE, but I'm not sure how much those cost. But how do I keep a hedgie from overheating in the summer? We have some fans but I wouldn't know where to put one so the hedgie won't get too cold or something. I have about $500 to spend on stuff.

I've had some pets in the past. 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 2 rats, and a rabbit. I am willing to learn as much as I can about hedgies, I know this because my friend and I learned everything about guinea pigs before she got hers.

I guess I'm kinda worried that I wouldn't be a good hedgehog owner.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hi, I'm thinking about getting a hedgie

As long as you do research in advance and have time to dedicate to daily handling, there's no reason that a cold house would get in the way of being a good owner.

We're located a few hours from you, in Port Orchard, WA. If you happen to come north at any point, feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to have you come visit and get some experience handling our hedgehogs.

To start, you can take a look at the "Hedgehog Care" page on my site, which should give a good overview. http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/hedgehog-care.html For a more in-depth read, check out LizardGirl's care book: http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... nload.html

A CHE setup is the most economical option, and there are little tricks to help heat the cage. Definitely consider the different cage types and sizes - some are easier to heat than others. For the summer, hedgehogs will be fine up to 90 degrees or so, as long as they have plenty of water available. You can do things like put a cold pack on the top of the cage to let the cool air drift down, or give them a floor tile to lay on when they're hot.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for replying, moxieberry! I looked at your site, and it said a minimum of 3 feet for the cage. I measured the cage I have now (my rat lives in it) and the floor space is about 3.75 square feet. I think that might be too small for a hedgie after I put the wheel and stuff in it. I have a wheel, but I'd definitely get a different one for a hedgehog. It's not a bucket wheel, it's noisy, and it's a pain to clean.

If I can't find a good breeder closer to my area, I'll see if my parents are willing to drive four hours to your place. :P

Sorry I don't have time to type a longer reply, I'm going to a Thai restaurant with my grandparents who are visiting.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to HHC! moxie already has you off to a good start with care info and links.

I'm in Corvallis, and we have pretty much the same weather as you do. In the summer, our hedgehog room is usually just kept closed during the day and it never gets above 80, 85 during the worst hot days thankfully, though we do have an air conditioner (one that goes in the window) to cool the room down if necessary. For heat, if you went with a CHE setup I typically estimate the cost to set one up from items you buy from pet stores to be around $100-120, though we sell a heat setup kit for $70 that's a bit cheaper than buying from pet stores. A CHE setup is a bit more expensive to start, but uses a lot less energy once set up and is a pretty good option if your family might not want you heating a whole room (expensive!) for your hedgie.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in