An Unexpected Hedgehog - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: An Unexpected Hedgehog

They do grow on you so fast! I'm not sure as I've only had my one hedgy, but I think all of them are wild about noises. When I take Percy out and there's a sudden noise, he'll huff and jump a bit. He's use to dogs barking so that's not a concern around here. My cat tried to check him out for the first while, but now she doesn't pay much attention to him. She sounds like a very friendly hedgy and will only improve with time. I'm so glad to hear your hubby is warming up to her and that you've decided to keep her. Sending her to another home wouldn't be as good as the home she has now. You've already improved her life so much. I do love her photos!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Chihirolee3 I wanted to comment on your story because I found it so similar to my own. I had wanted a hedgehog forever, I had done all the research, bought all the supplies, found an amazing breeder and purchased my perfect little boy. He is the most amazing hedgehog ever, he never once huffed, popped, clicked or curled on me, he snuggles for hours and loves getting little kisses on his face. About 2 months after I bought my little man, a friend contacted me about a hedgehog she didn't want anymore because it was "mean". I told her I already had a hedgehog and really wasn't sure if I could take on the responsibility of another hog, especially an unfriendly hog who would need extra socialization time. But I went over to see her and just like you ended up taking her home with her cage and accessories. Her living conditions were so upsetting, she lived in a small lizard aquarium with a large comfort wheel (if you're familiar with the comfort wheels the large ones are actually pretty small and the giant ones are a more appropriate size), cedar shavings and an igloo. I felt so bad for her and immediately got her an appropriate sized cage, a giant comfort wheel, fleece liners, and some toys. She had also never been bathed, never had her nails trimmed and had never been to a vet so I made sure all of those were done immediately.

The reason I wanted to post something to you is to say that it has now been a year and I love both of my babies, the planned and the "unexpected". The two of them have totally different personalities and it's hard to play favorites when I find individual things to love about each of them. I wanted to encourage you to keep up with the socialization, and to commend you for taking the chance and giving a loving home to a little hedgie in need. It's not easy, and a change of plans is always unsettling at first, but the satisfaction you will feel from improving the life of an innocent creature will always outweigh the minor adjustment stressors.
HedgieCKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

This happened to me twice. Both times I was thinking about getting a hedgehog and had just begun looking into breeders when all of a sudden along comes a rescue. Luckily I did not end up with two at once because the rescue happened before getting a baby from a breeder. I'm determined to have a baby someday but we are not equipped to have multiple hedgehogs at the same time so I'll have to wait. Right now I have Koloth who is my third hedgehog and he came to us sort of spontaneously because Immortailia from this site was fostering him and I said I would take him even though I probably wasn't overly prepared to have another hedgehog and my Fiance was not too happy about it. It's all worked out though Koloth is very charming. All three of my hedgehogs have had completely different personalities though and I had completely different experiences with each of them. I don't think I could choose a favourite. Same as I could not choose a favourite cat.

Good luck with your hedgehogs and I hope everything works out for you too.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

I am glad I am not the only one who has come across such situations.

Well, here's an update on Rhododendron. Took her to the vet on Wednesday. He said her liver seems to be under stress The best thing he said to do is switch her diet (which I am already doing). he asked me to bring some of her old food since I did not know what it was (while talking over the phone before the appointment), he said it was an IAMS cat food and that has a history of causing liver problems in hedgies (is this true? I don't doubt his information considering it was a cheap, crappy cat food to begin with). I am switching her over to Blue Buffalo (which my cat eats) and have fed her a bit of cooked hamburger (no seasoning) the other day, since her main diet was venison, but it must have been raw venison since her liver is not the best and she seemed unsure about eating the cooked meat. She has a definite hour glass shape when not curled up and I have noticed that she picks out her old food and does not touch the new food. If she does not improve with her dietary change, I will have to take her back in to help stop her from getting Fatty Liver Disease. Other than that, he gave advice to clear up her skin better and take care of her tattered ears (both of which I am already taking care of).

At least she is drinking plenty of water, and is running on her wheel more since I actually have to clean it now. However, every time I check on her, she is always under the fleece liner (which I am did not want but I won't fight her) and when I take her out and hold her in my lap, she becomes very active and wants to explore, so she's getting used to me.

And Thank you all for the encouragement and advise

Pindsvin, my metal loving Hedgehog
Treben, my crazy three-legged cat (with Pinkie Pie)
Nekkhalen, my kinked tail, laid back cuddle-bug cat

(R.I.P Rhododendron- Rescued Jan/13, passed away 11/26/13)
Chihirolee3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yay for rescued hedgehogs! At least you were prepared a bit and knew a little!
I can't tell you how many times I've gone to see a pet in distress or to talk to an owner who was struggling and then came home with an unexpected pet.
I should know how it works by now, but I'm still surprised everytime.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RondackHiker
I can't tell you how many times I've gone to see a pet in distress or to talk to an owner who was struggling and then came home with an unexpected pet.
I should know how it works by now, but I'm still surprised everytime.
This made me laugh. I'm not allowed in pet stores anymore because of that desire. I go in thinking I'll just look around I won't want any animals and I come out wishing I could get all of them (actually usually my Fiance drags me out telling me "we don't buy pets from pet stores") so yeah, now I don't go in. I also had to stop browsing the rescue sites and craiglist. I have a problem.

I'm happy to hear Rhododendron got to the vet. Sorry about her liver. I think it's going to be a hard road for you to switch her food but I hope that I'm wrong. Since she's used to eating raw meat I wonder if canned food would work for her. It is smellier and maybe closer in texture to the meat. My hedgehog has no teeth and I got sick of crushing and wetting his food so I started buying canned and he loves it. Also one can in the smallest size is not that expensive so you could try a few different brands and flavours and see if there is anything she takes too. I know that canned Fromm and Chicken Soup for the Soul Lite meet the hedgehog requirements. My hedgehog also loves Wurva (I think that's the spelling) he just gets it as a treat, the ingredients are not ground up together so it looks more like a soup with chicken and veggies depending on what variety you get. My guy is a bit of a food vacuum though but since a can is only a few bucks you should be able to try them out.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Aww. So glad u rescued the sweet hedgie! I am not really allowed in pet stores or on cl either because I want to bring everything home. The hard part is I work at a pet store, but refuse to buy an animal. I'll only adopt or rescue. I found my first hedgie last September randomly on cl, I wasn't currently looking to get one but found a cute male that was kept in a very small storage bin with no wheel and was so terrified he never unballed or stopped hissing and popping. He's gotten soooo much better with me tho after working with him. He's no snuggler but he seems happy. Then two weeks ago some moron abandoned a hedgie at work in a bag and I took her home even tho I'd had no intentions of having more than one hedgie. Jenna is the complete opposite of Bebop. She is extremely friendly and a huge snuggler! I absolutely adore them both and love having two hedgies with such different personalities. I love them both for their individual traits and have no regrets bringing either one home.
swahf24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

loving the updates well done xxxx
summer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Over the weekend, I tried some canned food (i asked the previous owner what other things she fed her, and apparently Fancy Feast stuff she'd eat too), but she didn't touch it. So, out of boredom on Saturday, I tried mashing the hard cat food mixture (of her old food and my new food), just to see what would happen, and put out a different can of food (I got a few different ones as recommended ). Turns out, she didn't touch the other canned food either, but went crazy over the mashed dry food (she ate every single bit and tipped her dish over and must have licked out the crumbs). Needless to say, I was extremely surprised at this (this happened Saturday night). So on Sunday, I did the same thing and this morning, sure enough, all the dry food was gone again and the canned food remained untouched (though I don't blame her, my cat doesn't like canned food either especially the stuff from Wal-mart). I am going to keep doing this, if this is what she prefers. It also seems like with this method, she is and will continue to adjust to her new food fairly easily (since it's all finely mixed together and she can no longer pick out her old food). The old owners did not have much cheap food left (they gave a little zip-lock bag that they used to store the food in and it's almost gone) so I have to switch her over quicker than I'd like. :\

She's getting more and more used to being held (on Sunday I got carried away and held her for nearly 2 hours while I was reading). She doesn't like it when we talk (even my quite voice), but then again, can't expect a hedgie to be okay with unfamiliar noises in general. I have been putting flax seed oil on her skin to help with dryness and that's really improved, as well as her tattered ears are healing up. Her exploring nature is really coming out, and I am pretty surprised to see that because she wasn't handled much at all and probably didn't have any opportunity to explore.

Despite the news from the vet, little Rhododendron is making amazing strides in health and attitude. If this keeps up, she should have a clean bill of health (at least major improvement) when I take her back to the vet in a couple weeks (follow up appointment).

Pindsvin, my metal loving Hedgehog
Treben, my crazy three-legged cat (with Pinkie Pie)
Nekkhalen, my kinked tail, laid back cuddle-bug cat

(R.I.P Rhododendron- Rescued Jan/13, passed away 11/26/13)
Chihirolee3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm so happy to hear that she's doing so well!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in