Thinking of adopting a second! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking of adopting a second!

Every day i see ads on kijij for hedgies that need love. I am caving and really want another, but i want to know the bets and worst of it all. Im looking at a second male, their cages would be semi close together.

AnnabellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Thinking of adopting a second!

I had two, and it was great! Of course you need time to care and handle both, but it is worth it!<3

Thimble & Calypso forever <3
Hedgehogluvr386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Make sure you have the time and financial resources for both. Money is especially important - you don't think you'll end up having two medical issues at the same time, but it happens more than you'd expect, so make sure you have money set aside for each of them. Other than that, be sure to quarantine the new arrival for about a month. Washing hands between the two, keeping the new hedgehog in a different room if possible, and so on.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieberry
Make sure you have the time and financial resources for both. Money is especially important - you don't think you'll end up having two medical issues at the same time, but it happens more than you'd expect, so make sure you have money set aside for each of them. Other than that, be sure to quarantine the new arrival for about a month. Washing hands between the two, keeping the new hedgehog in a different room if possible, and so on.
Oh yes and I can vouch for that. Tangelo had a weigh loss and quill loss issue that got worst right after puting Litchi to sleep. In june, I have had the highest vet bills ever and I woul not have ever think it could all go wrong at the same time.

Also agree on having a place for quarentaine. In my old appartment in was a pain to keep it wram enough in one place and it was a stress to have 2 room at "hedgie temp". Thank god it was September but still it was cold and I had to watch the temperature.

I will also has time cause you want to spend some time playing with them but also washing their stuff.

On a positive note, my vet would do 25% discount on the second hedgie (same visit) and I was glad they did when Tangelo was X-Rayed.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kam

I found myself thinking this as well, but I'm going to resist for now, I really would like a very dark masked hedgehog. Plus my husband likes little Mkuki too, and the pick up day fell on his birthday, so he tells people it's his. Plus I have a second cage set up, it would be too easy but I'm going to wait.

Though if I found a dark algerian black Hedgehog it may be hard to say no, lucky their not that common.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

For me, I wouldn't have enough time for a second hedgie. My parents love Prim, but mostly at a distance. They will hold her if I'm watching TV and need to run to the bathroom or something but they don't interact with her that much (they're weird). My boyfriend actually seems to like her, even though he won't admit it but he has his own dog so a second hedgie just wouldn't get the love he/she deserves which would be devastating to me and the hedgie.

If you KNOW you can devote enough attention to both of you hedgies and you have the financial resources... go for it. I'm just saying, for me personally, it would be fair to Prim, the new hedgie or myself.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm with you JulieAnne. One is good for me. I also have a parrot, 2 dogs, 3 crested geckos, and a tree frog. You don't really play with the geckos or frog, but you do have to pay attention to the other animals - a lot. After dinner, my parrot is with me till 11pm and then its Mimzy's turn. The dogs spend the evenings with my mother. I'm the only one to handle the exotic animals - including the parrot. My brother plays (and feeds) the dogs and will hold the parrot or hog while I go inside for a few minutes, but thats all. They are not into reptiles or amphibians.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Prestons is our one and only pet, so we have lots of time for a second. My biggest concern is he is the BIGGEST mommas boy ever, so i dont want to disrupt the peace, but they wouldnt be play together or anything

AnnabellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in