Getting a 2nd Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting a 2nd Hedgehog

So we have had our wonderful Hedgehog Herrison for about 4 months now - he is about 6 months old and really fits in well with our lifestyle. The biggest problem that we have had with him is that there is only one of him! My husband and I are always competing for who gets to spend the most time with him. I pitched the idea of getting a second hog but because he is a male my husband is a bit concerned. I do understand that a potential newcomer would have to be in a separate cage but how would this work for play time? What would be ultimate is if we could both have a hedgie in a cuddle sack as we watch TV. How does everyone else out there handle two hogs in the household? Herrison currently has a 8 sq foot cage but due to size constraints I would have to down grade him to 6, so that the new comer has 6 as well. Is this a little on the squished size?
Herrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Getting a 2nd Hedgehog

Set the play time squabble aside and grin. Six feet of floor space is great. Four is the minimum requirement for floor space, wheel, and accessories. Having two hedgies, in separate cuddle sacks and laps seems to me like a great solution for the play time squabble and keeping everyone safe. My only thought or recommendation would be any floor play time be separate since hedgies are solitary by nature. Feasibly one could be in a hedgehog safe playpen while the other gets some lap time and vice versa. I only have one hedgehog, and would love to get a second, but for me is not an option with a full house if critters. So while I don't have experience with multiples, since your hubby has become just as smitten and eager to participate in hedgehog guardianship, I think a second hedgie would be a great addition for your family. Good luck.
Avarris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

When I had my other hedgie I would do a play times with each of them. but since I started college I had to re-home one of them, now I have one who get attention alot more then he use to. I started with 2 hedgies and It was my first time owning hedgies. I agree on different cuddle sack, my one hedgie that I re-homed did not like the one I still have at all.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

You'll want to get another male, if you intend to have them out at the same time. A male and female, even if not in direct contact, can cause problems if they're too close, such as you and your husband sitting together each with one on your lap. Two males may be able to have playtime with each other, but don't count on it, and it should only ever be under direct supervision. Adult males tend to fight. You'll also have to quarantine your new arrival, preferably in a different room. About a month is suggested.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

A second hedgie in your situation sounds great, that way you both get hedgie time. Since you plan on keeping them.on different laps and different cages you should be able to get a boy or girl. My boy hedgie never even noticed the girl housed beneathe him. As long as they are kept seperate there is no problem, lots of members herr have opposite sex hedgies and other combinations of boys and girls.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgieonboard
Since you plan on keeping them.on different laps and different cages you should be able to get a boy or girl. My boy hedgie never even noticed the girl housed beneathe him. As long as they are kept seperate there is no problem, lots of members herr have opposite sex hedgies and other combinations of boys and girls.
I disagree. Different cages nearby is one thing, but if the hedgehogs are going to be out and handled at the same time, there's a good change a boy would take notice of a girl's presence. Babies may not result, but both hedgehogs can become agitated by it, and vocalizations by a male will cause a female to ovulate. Ovulation without breeding taking place can possibly have health effects on the female that we don't have a good understanding of. The people I know who have opposite sex hedgehogs as pets don't take them out at the same time. Since that's specifically the intention here, it should be same sex.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

You're entitled to disagree, thats my opinion based on my personal experience. The op was saying that one was going to be out with her husband and one with her, she did not say she was going to be handling both at the same time. I know of many experienced hedgehog breeders and owners who do the same and stand by what I said.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think your statement, "The biggest problem that we have had with him is that there is only one of him! My husband and I are always competing for who gets to spend the most time with him," is absolutely adorable!!!!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I meant out and handled, period, not by the same person. She specifically described a situation of the two of them having the hedgehogs with them at the same time while watching TV. It could be perfectly fine, but it also could very easily be a problem. I also know that when I have hedgehogs with me for watching TV, they get free reign of the couch - whether that's cuddling in my lap or exploring around me. The only way a male and female will work being out at the same time, in close proximity - even with two different people - is if they're both being closely restrained, kept inside a bag, etc, regardless of if they would prefer to be running around. There's no reason to set up a situation of having to do that, when problems can easily be avoided by getting another hedgehog of the same sex. If the OP hadn't specifically stated that they would be out at the same time, in close proximity, it wouldn't be as much of a potential issue - but that is the intended purpose, to have them out at the same time, with the OP and her husband watching TV. Maybe not all couples are the same, but my fiance and I sure don't watch TV together from different sides of the room. We're next to each other, and any hedgehogs in our laps are therefore close to each other as well. Having a male and female that close can be a problem. It might not for sure, but there's a good chance, and no way to know for sure until you're in that situation. Why get a female, when it might end up not working for this situation, and a male will work much better? This is based on my experience with 30 hedgehogs, males and females.

A reputable breeder also isn't likely to sell a female to someone who already has a male. I certainly won't, and of the breeders I know personally, all of them have that policy. That's not necessarily because the people aren't trustworthy, but because people with multiple hedgehogs like to have them interact if possible. Same sex just avoids a lot of issues.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

The op did not say having them out and free ranging the couch like you say your hedgies do. She specifically said in a cuddle sack on seperate laps. Like I said I stand by what I said, you can read into it all you want but I was responding to how the op said theyd be interacting, not how you interact with yours. Hedgies in seperate cuddle sacks in seperate laps as the op stated in her orginal post would be fine in my opinion. Two males would have just as much chance fighting to the death in the situation you proposed which isnt the situation the op said any hedgies would be in t gb first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in