So cute yet so grumpy - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kam

Default So cute yet so grumpy

Hi, so I had little Mkuki for a little over a month now, she's eating and growing and pooping fine, loving her wheel.
I've got her to eat crickets, mealwoms, salmon and carrot! Tying turkey tonight, no luck hand feeding but I'll leave it in her cage to try.

She is slowing down on quilling now, 3 months old, but she is still losing the odd one and I think her quills could be 'thicker' in some areas.

Her breeder used pine shaving as bedding, I decided to use fleece liners but I'm thinking of trying shaving, give her something to dig into.

I'm a first time hedgehog owner, hoping that my little girl is happy, she's not too friendly so I'm forcing a little more love on her now that she's older.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kam

Default Re: So cute yet so grumpy

I felt so bad, a week ago she started anointing for the first time, it was so cute I laughed and it spooked her so she stopped.

She enjoys her back massages and chin rubs but not yet into exploring, into naps.

Does anyone here save quills?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I saved all of the baby quills that I could find and keep them in a little tin. She hasn't shed any adult quills yet. Turns one year old next week.
.................................................. ............

Fleece liners are so much easier to use, and cage maintenance so much easier. You might try offering fleece strips and squares and see what she does with them. I build her a burrow in her house and another in one of her tunnels. Plus she has a stack of pieces to play with or build her own burrow if she wants to.

wake-up-call-13-01-05.mp4
http://youtu.be/vEvKBzNcCW0

front-tunnel-burrow-12-10-2.mp4
http://youtu.be/0drd0Gk-V3Q
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

I adore all of the Sophie videos by Erizo! I wish there were more! (Hint, Hint, Hint)
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now that there are quite a few videos, I'll have to look and see if YouTube will let me organize them the way I would like, or if I need to put up some kind of listing / description page on one of my own websites to make specific topics easier to find.

If there is a question that a video might help with, PM details and I'll do what I can. Some things won't be possible. The videos are decent, but I don't have the best equipment or editing software, and Sophie's situation just might not make a good answer for some questions or problems. There are videos that I would like to have, but can't get. I can write more broadly than Sophie's specific setup or issues, but for videos I necessarily have to be more specific and try and note in the commentary how things might be different for another animal.

A few of them overlap information; that could be tedious for some, but I don't mind. They work for what I am doing. A few of them are about the same thing (more than just overlap), but I also try to improve on what I have, so maybe I'll delete lesser duplicates at some point.

A cousin has recently gotten a hedgehog and I have made a few of these with her in mind. I have tons of still pictures of her gear, but the videos help show things in action, so to speak.

Sophie's YouTube Channnel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SophieBorquelle

Among upcoming videos:
Buying, storing, and feeding mealies.

Buying, handling, and feeding crickets.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in