Pre-Hedgie Jitters! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Pre-Hedgie Jitters!

Hello all! So, I'm new to the forum as a member (though not as a lurker!) and I am in the home stretch toward getting my first hedgie! It should only be about six weeks from now, and the information I've gotten from this forum and Lizardgirl's book have been priceless!

I am SO excited to be getting my baby, but I am also very, very nervous. I have pretty much everything sorted as to what supplies I have and still need to pick up, but my question is this: How do you deal with the nerves of getting a new hedgie? I've been having periods of time where I'm just so afraid that I won't be a good mama or I'll do something to mess it all up! Does anyone have any tips to help calm down when I start to worry?
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pre-Hedgie Jitters!

As a new hedgehog owner myself I would say there really is nothing to worry about! We got our little guy less than a week ago now and he has already really warmed up to us, which was my biggest fear. I too was a big watcher of this site and finally joined to be able to post on the boards and people have been really great if you ever have any specific questions! It's hard to know what your biggest hurdle will be before you meet your little guy/girl. We took our time picking out exactly which hedgie we wanted to bring home...we choose one that layed down his quills right away when we held him...and he also peed all over my boyfriend as he looked so cute sniffing around in his arm so I took that as a sign that he had to be the one! It was a bit tricky at first to figure out the best way to get him out of his cage and that's still not his favorite but he has gotten so much better about it. We were nervous about his first bath too but again it turned out way easier than I feared. Turns out the most difficult thing has been getting him to eat mealworms (which I kept reading they love so much so it worried me that he wouldn't take to it) but I posted on here and people were great about suggestions so I continue to be patient about it. Not sure how old yours will be but ours is pretty young so he sleeps a lot and I find myself looking forward to around 9pm when we wake him up to socialize for a bit. Lot of the time he ends up curling up and falling back asleep on my lap but I feel like at least he is getting used to us....the babies tend to sleep a lot! We have done a lot of researching and learning as we go but so far so good. Nothing to be nervous about (and they say the little guys can sense if you are jumpy)...so just relax you will be fine!!
[attachment=0:1j9492ka]henry.jpg[/attachment:1j9492ka]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry.jpg (62.1 KB, 4 views)

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was so nervous before getting preston, i did months and months of research and honestly once he came home it was all natural to me. Youll do great!

AnnabellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks sklock65 and AnnabellasMomma!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who's getting/got really nervous before baby came home! I'm pretty confident in my research, but it's nice to know there's a community I can go to for help! Not only that, but the people at Storybook Hedgehogs have been nothing but wonderful during this whole process!

I suppose I'll just try to mellow out and do what feels right when the time comes!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

My jitters lasted weeks after I brought Percy home. I was silly because all the thing's I worried about never happened. I thought my cage was too small, food wasn't right, didn't have the right lighting or heat source ect.. Percy survived all the changes I had to make after bringing him home and I did too. Now I consider him the easiest pet ever and they do adjust quite well once bringing them home and settling them in. You'll do just fine and it helps to be on this forum. I'm so excited for you and your soon to be new addition.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm going crazy just waiting. I am on a waiting list, and there's the wait for the weaning process and having been waiting for a month, all my thoughts are about it (since it is my late Christmas gift from my husband) The biggest thing I worry about is getting a grump butt one and/or a loner. I want a cuddler or/and an explorer because of how I am (the more active and the loving the better). I am not too worried about the care part of it all (since I've cared for many pets in my past and I have one cat currently), but I am just soooooooooo excited to take my hedgie places and have him sleep in my lap and just typing this makes me want to squee with delight!

Pindsvin, my metal loving Hedgehog
Treben, my crazy three-legged cat (with Pinkie Pie)
Nekkhalen, my kinked tail, laid back cuddle-bug cat

(R.I.P Rhododendron- Rescued Jan/13, passed away 11/26/13)
Chihirolee3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Trust me, I think I drove my boyfriend crazy the week before we brought our baby Obi home! We've had him for about two months now and I'm still anxious when I think something's wrong! Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a grumpy or loner hedgehog, they're all a little grumpy in their own way and Obi even has his on and off days!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hedgehogs have very diverse personalities, and I just am worried about getting one that is grumpy or unpleasant ALL the time. I know for sure I will not know anything until after my baby gets comfortable enough with his new home. The best thing I can do is ease its fears as best as i can. I can't imagine any animal having easy transitions to new home considering most are babies when it happens.

Pindsvin, my metal loving Hedgehog
Treben, my crazy three-legged cat (with Pinkie Pie)
Nekkhalen, my kinked tail, laid back cuddle-bug cat

(R.I.P Rhododendron- Rescued Jan/13, passed away 11/26/13)
Chihirolee3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think we have all (or most of us) gone through this. It's natural and if you didn't worry so much - I'd be scared for the animal. This only shows that you care so much for your new bundle of joy that you only want the best for it. Relax and enjoy, reflect on how wonderful it will be. And congratulations.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was so excited an nervous, and a bundle full of last minute worries and questions. I'm sure at one point Moxie was ready to blow up her computer with all my over-thinking things worries. I still have questions, but I've gotten to the point where I can look here, call my breeder (which I haven't had to do yet), but mostly I trust my gut. Pippin has a personality all her own, and now that she's quilling again, she's being a grumpus. I'm still enjoying learning her likes, dislikes, and she's still showing me new sides to her personality almost everyday.

I want to say don't worry, or don't over think it, but if you are anything like me, saying it won't help. All I can do is say, I was where you are not so long ago, and many of my fears have been unfounded, overthought, and unnecessary. Everything falls into place and you end up laughing at yourself over the jitters you had.
Avarris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in