Should I get a hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Should I get a hedgehog?

I've been looking into hedgehogs recently, but I'm not sure if I should get one or not. If I would get one, I'd get one from a breeder about an hour and 50 minutes away from where I live. I want to learn more about hedgehogs, and how they act. Do they enjoy human interaction? What kind of cages do they need? Is this one suitable?

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-First-H ... roduct_top

Would a mixture of dry cat food be best for their health? I've heard that Royal Canin is pretty good for hedgehogs. What other supplies (besides a food dish, water dish, bedding/fleece, and a wheel) does a hedgehog need?

I am willing to take the time to tame and bond with the hedgie, and provide him/her with what s/he needs. I understand that when you first get a pet, s/he will be really shy and scared.

All help is appreciated! Thank you. :3
imustbedreaming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Should I get a hedgehog?

Welcome to HHC! And very glad to see that you're doing some research and looking before you get a hedgehog, we always love it when people do that.

I would highly recommend downloading and reading this care book written by LizardGirl, one of our mods - http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... index.html It's free to download (or you can buy a hard copy), and it has a ton of information (much of it found on the forums as well), well-organized and easy to read. It will answer most of your questions about hedgehog personalities, cages, diet, and supplies.

On the note of cages though, if you're looking for a store-bought cage, I would go with a bigger one like this - http://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-18-Inch-Fi ... _title_def You want to aim for around 4 square feet of floor space, so there's a couple feet of space left over for moving around in after you add in bed, wheel, bowls, toys, etc. There's also Ferret Nation and Critter Nations for store-bought cages, but they tend to be more expensive. There's more cage options that you can read about in the book, or check out the Cage Examples thread in the Housing forum - Sterilite bins, vivariums, and C&C cages.

Have fun reading, and feel free to ask if you have more questions that the book doesn't answer or that you can't find on the forum!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the exact same cage and love it! Eventually I joined another cage similar with a pvc tube so that my boy had more room. A sleeping room and a play room, but he would have been fine in just the one. It's really easy to clean. Just pop the top off and use it to put your hedgehog in while you clean the bottom.
If your willing to take the time for a hedgehog they do make the best pets. There are days I can't take Percy out as I'm too busy, but he likes being alone alot, so that's ok. Some are more friendly than other's, so you have to prepare for any type of personality that you may get as they change so much as they grow, go through quilling stages, and have good day's, and huffy days. I find them very clean pets if you keep up with the cage.
Other's will help you out with the food as I have only tried three mixes of cat food. Blue Buffalo, Nutrisource grain free, and I add Special kitty as a low fat small part mix. Most love the additional mealie worm and cricket.
I think going through as many threads on this site will help you decide if a hedgy is right for you.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I got a hedgehog this past Christmas and am completly in love with him. They are so much fun
Hedgieowner26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome!

Sounds like you've already started doing research. Definitely keep at it - this forum has a ton of great information if you just browse through the various posts, and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

LizardGirl's book is great. You can take a look at my site as well - my "hedgehog care" page is basically an abridged version of the same info, and the supplies list should help as a guideline for the necessities as well as other accessories.

http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/hedgehog-care.html
http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/supplies-list.html

For food, a mix of high quality dry cat foods is definitely best. Royal Canin isn't what I'd call high quality, though - it tends to have fillers and is way overpriced for being just "decent" quality. Here's a fairly complete list of cat foods that are recommended for hedgehogs: http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html

The food mix we use and sell contains 7 foods and 4 protein sources. That's a bit overkill to make on your own for one hedgehog, but a mix of 2-3 is ideal, and I suggest having at least one that's a non-chicken protein, for some added variety.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in