Bath Time - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bath Time

My hedgehog hates baths. Every time she gets in water she freaks out and tries to climb out of the sink and will snap at me if I get to close. She only snaps when she is in the bath. She also makes a weird sqweek/wheeze noise that I don't hear else where. When I take her out she won't let me hold her, even to carry her back to her cage. I've tried letting her run around in a pen thing I have. Normally she runs around and will play in it but after a bath she tries to escape. Does anyone have suggestions to make bath time less stressful for her?
kaasen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bath Time

Reginald isn't a fan of bathtime either, but there are a few things that Maggie has done that has helped him.

The biggest is that Reginald really doesn't like the sound of the faucet running. So she tries to have luke warm water that comes up to a little bit below his quill line all ready to go before she brings him to the sink. She also keeps a pitcher with more lukewarm water nearby she can rinse him off with afterwards. Also try and keep water away from her face and ears, a lot of hedgehogs don't like their face being touched. You can try keeping the lights dim, either by putting a thin cloth over the light or using a night light or something. If Reginald starts getting too worked up, Maggie will pick him up and rock him back and forth. That usually calms him down a little.

If his feet are really dirty when she wakes up, or after he gets out of running around in his ball, she uses a small tub with a damp piece of fleece to give him footbaths. He'll run around on the fleece and it's just rough to scrape the poop off. Also after a while of walking around, if it's any further up on his legs, she can cuddle him in the wet cloth to get the rest off, and then towel him dry.

I hope those ideas help.

My Carry Tube tutorial https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
alexvdl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Bath Time

That was some great advice that alexvdi gave you there.
Marquis de Sade also hates sink baths, so what I have done is that I have bought a big clear plastic box and I fill it up with water until the line of his quills. I let him run around there, without bothering him, until I clean up his wheel and fleece liners. So he thinks it is some sort of playtime. Throwing meal worms in the water works wonders as well.

Then, having the rinsing water ready in another container is also the technique that I use. But I have found that even though Marquis is scared by the faucet sound, he does enjoy the shower head massaging his back, with the water with a very low pressure of course.

Another thing to check is if the skin of your hedgie is redish after the bath. This could mean that the water is too warm for her and it upsets and stresses her more. It might seem ok for you, but still be too warm for her

Good luck and happy bathing!
alex_le_renar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in