Is my hedgie sick? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my hedgie sick?

Hi! I think my hedgehog, Howie is sick. He usually goes straight to his bowl when I put his food in there, but today after I cleaned my cage he didn't go to the bowl. I decided to play with him a little bit, but then he tried to sleep, unlike him, which he is usually curious and explores my arms. When I put him in his cage, he ran straight for the shirt I kept in there he sleeps in, with the food still full in the bowl, and its night, and I just put him in the cage 20 minutes ago. Also, when he digs, he occasionally slides his back legs behind him when he's half under the shirt. Is he just slipping? I took him to the vet for mites not too long ago, and he is on topical revolution, and I don't know what to do, because my mom spent a lot of money on the medicine, and if he's sick, I dont know if my mom will take him. What should I do? He also makes a little whistling sound sometimes when he sniffs. I did make another topic on him not too long ago about his mites. I am going to try to post a couple of pictures of him, but its hard to upload one. Thank you for reading.
hedgehog_lover247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is my hedgie sick?

How old is Howie? If he is really young it could be quilling. When Amira quilled she didn't behave normally either. My hedgie Amira seems to go through phases of behavior where she will love playing and be very inquisitive most of the time and every once in a while she has an off day and doesn't want to play. If it is only one day I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on Howie for other symptoms. If it continues I would look into the possible side effects of the medication and if it is safe for hedgies. Not all vets prescribe meds that are hedgie friendly. There also isn't a ton of research on medications and hedgehogs so it could be that the vet didn't know it would have the side effects. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
kaasen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

He's 15-16 weeks.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

He is also making little whistle noises when he sniffs. It sounds like little wheezes, like the ones people have when they have asthma? Is it a URI?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

He sounds on the older side for quilling but it's possible. Everyone seems to have a slightly different timeline for quilling. Most are from birth to 13 weeks but I've seen stories of quilling as late as 6 months. I don't have any experience with uri's so I can't speak to it. I hope Howie is just having an off day or quilling.
kaasen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like he might've just been tired or something simple like that. Make sure his light schedule and temperature both normal & appropriate for him, and other than that, just keep an eye on his behavior for a couple days. If he continues to act strangely, there might be something wrong, but usually if it's one night, it's just that they were extra tired that night, having an off night, etc.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in