Another bug question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another bug question

So this past summer, apparently due to dry warm conditions, the back portion of our house was over run with http://insects.about.com/od/truebugs/p/Hhalys.htm these things. A local news paper article said they were trying to get into the house for warmth. Fortunately the paper said they don't burrow in wood or mate when they come in, they just want to get warm. Well the first frosts came along and wiped them off our back porch. (You know what's weird? They only took over the back of the house. The front of the house was taken over by Box Eldar Bugs. Do they have each other or something?) And then they were gone. Or so we thought...

We would find one every once in a while, usually down in the family room. We assumed that they just had made their way in from the porch and chilled in the den downstairs. Well fast forward to Christmas day where we lit a fire in the fire place. And it was like fall all over again. Apparently a bum load of these things had hidden in the chimney and then woken up once the heat hit them. So now they are trickling out of the fire place and into the family room.

But wait you ask, what does this have to do with hedgies? Well I'm getting to that! Hold your horses! You see, at first I would find them around the lights to the lizard cage. Smart, since it's nice and warm. Not that I ever found any in the lizard cage. But he's a Uromastyx. He wouldn't eat them anyway. But since the reinvestation, I'm finding them in Widget's cage! I don't want him eating them! (Although I'm not positive he would. He prefers his bugs roasted or freeze dried, with out the creamy filling.) I know his cage is all snuggly warm, but that's no reason for them to intrude!

So short story long, does anyone know how to get rid of these things?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: Another bug question

Don't squish a stinkbug! They're not very smart and flock to the scent of a dead one.

There's no real good way of killing them, to be honest. I usually catch them in a water bottle with some water and dish soap at the bottom. Walk around collecting them, then swirling them around with the cap on and tossing it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

And here I've been squishing them... hey, What if I took one to a specific spot, and then squished it? Would they all go to that spot? Thus making it easier to find and kill them? Actually on Christmas, I was squishing them with tissue then throwing them into the fire. If I keep doing that will they just Lemming themselves?

Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

If your family has the financial resources, I would recommend calling in an exterminator. They might decide to leave during the summer, but sometimes bugs aren't very cool and they make a permanent residence in your house.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well these things deffinantly aren't cool. So maybe we'll talk about an exterminator... so far the idea hasn't been met with joy. Will the chemicals hurt my pets?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

Exterminators may or may not be able to get stink bugs. They won't all go to one spot if you squish them. They're one of those bugs you have to deal with. Just make sure windows are closed really tightly.

They've evolved to survive any kind of pesticide. Ugh.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

That's kind of what I figured. The bad part is that, based on what they were like this fall, there's probably a hedgie's poop worth up there. I hope Widget doesn't decide to get brave and nom any of them. Oh well, thanks for the help every one. Wish me luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Good luck getting rid of them! You might try wrapping your hedgie's cage with mosquito netting to keep them from getting in, for now.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in