New hedgehog - extremely antisocial when in cage - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2020, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgehog - extremely antisocial when in cage

Hi all - New owner here. I've had my hedgie for about 1 month. SHe's 3 years old and has been passed around from home to home all her life . I've kept her cage in my bedroom for the most part.

When I first got her she was shy, etc. but she would always come out at night to eat and play and wheel whenever nobody would be around. She even started coming out when I was awake in bed but the light was off. But for the past two weeks I've noticed she's only coming out very late at night, usually when she's certain I'm sleeping (around 3 or 4am). Before then, she won't even come out if there's nobody in my room and it's night. I feel bad for her because that means she's delaying her eating and exercise.

Two things to note:
1. About a week before I noticed this beahviour I moved her to another room because (like a typical new owner) I was feeling bad that she'd only come out when nobody was around. But after a week I realized that was probably not the best way to get her used to me.

2. I got my hedgie in late August and noticed her change in behaviour around early Sept, when it started to get cooler outside. Her cage is heated and has fleece (although I noticed that up until recently she would avoid the heated parts of the cage) so I'm really hoping she's not trying to hibernate or anything. She's active when I manhandle her... but as soon as she's in the cage, she's hiding and/or sleeping until the wee hours! I'm so confused!
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Bonding

Hedgehogs need to bond with their families. If your hedge has been moved home to home, think of them as a foster kid. Maybe a little broken and wont trust people.

My suggestion to you is hold her. Constantly. At first until she trusts you hold her and interact for HOURS a day (I suggest a min of 4) I personally enjoy this type of friend because I have to earn it's trust. I personally hold my hogs in my clothes or in a hip pack. When I am home they are with me. Even if they are grumpy. Keeping them in her cage will not let her bond. In a few months her house will be her quiet space and will be a good anti social time. For now cuddle her!

Keep a routine, Put her in a tiny bit of water or an empty cardboard box to help her poop and pee at the same time every day. Keep her awake by playing with her or let her sleep in your shirt next to your heart. Then at night, it will be more constant sleep schedule.

My hedgehogs who I have gotten from previous owners and neglected haven't bonded well and tend to bite. Expect this, and get some wiggly meal worms and have her associate them to her. The more you interact the more you will bond.
Keep us updated!
Tyetheemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in