Rehoming question - OPINIONS WANTED! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Rehoming question - OPINIONS WANTED!

Hello to everyone

Before I start, I want to clarify that I'm not necessarily looking to rehome my little guy - I'm just looking for some honest opinions.

When I bought Linus it was the beginning of November and I was temporarily living at my parents, so that's where he lives right now and so do I still. It's fairly quiet here, I never make too much noise in my room because I'm just not that noisy (that's where his cage is) but there's average noise going on in the house during the day with my stepfather working from home.

Now, the place I'm going to be moving to isn't a loud building - but I'll have a roommate. I've lived with him before and he's not terribly noisy, but he does enjoy listening to music at a volume I wouldn't consider low. He listens to it in his room and mine is beside his. I've shut the door while he's playing music and it does block out most of the sound but my question is this:

Going from a fairly quiet home to a louder apartment will probably mean a few weeks of adjustment (at most, little guy settled in here from the breeder after the first night : )) but I just want to make sure that it wouldn't be negligble to have him live in that environment. Is this a wise choice?

I may be completely overthinking it because Linus will be in a separate room that my roommate generally isn't in, but he does enjoy partying and plays music pretty constantly so I just want to make sure the place I'm moving Linus to will be good for him. I would never think to do anything before moving there because it would be pre-emptive but I'd love some opinions on this. He's a fairly happy hog now, whenever my light timer goes off he comes scampering out of his cozy sack running all over the place - I just want to ensure it stays that way.

It would truly disappoint me to rehome him because I adore having him around (even if he's only up for a couple hours that I am), but if I don't think the living conditions are suitable then it would only be fair.
I know this was a long post so, my apologies but thanks for any input! : )

As well - if anyone has suggestions on how they've helped lessen noise around their hogs/ in the room and/or if anyone has hogs that don't mind noise I'd like to hear from you! : )
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rehoming question - OPINIONS WANTED!

I don't think that there should be a problem. It's all in what he'll get used to. You could ask your roomie to wear earphones. That way it would not bother either you or the hog. But I don't see a problem. Even human babies get used to loud noises and sleep through things. Good luck in your move and Merry Christmas.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Noise isn't something to shelter a hedgehog from. You don't want something constant and painfully loud right next to them, of course, but you don't need to hide them away in a quiet place either. Different kinds of noises are important for socialization to. If he's going to be in your room, and not in close proximity to blaring speakers, he'll be fine. Our hedgehogs get music playing during daytime hours, exposure to TV, loud video games, three bark-happy dogs, and an industrial strength vacuum pretty regularly. They may not enjoy it, but they're used to it.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I keep Quinnlee in my room, where I happen to have loud music playing on a daily basis :P I have found the only noise that actually upsets her is my alarm clock (she huffs at it when it starts up), but other than that, she does really well. From what I've heard, hedgies can adjust to louder noises I wouldn't be concerned about your roommate's music or partying.

SouthernSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ditto what everyone else has said, but just wanted to also mention, Linus is not going to be the only one with a problem if your roommate plays music too loud - management just LOVES loud tenants that annoy the other tenants.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sure linus will be fine too. My boyfriend cranks the tunes downstairs and I use to freak out, but no matter how loud, there's Percy snoring away. Same with the dog's barking. He sleeps right through it. They get use to sounds around them so don't worry.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses - makes me feel much more secure in bringing him there.

And to the person who commented on the neighbours - funny thing, we only have 2 neighbours on our floor and they're both deaf. It's a perfect match.

I'll probably post pictures when I move everything in... let's see if I have a cage photo kicking around here..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0678.JPG (86.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Hedgie camera hello hand.JPG (34.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Loving the dots!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnfaith
Thanks for the responses - makes me feel much more secure in bringing him there.

And to the person who commented on the neighbours - funny thing, we only have 2 neighbours on our floor and they're both deaf. It's a perfect match.

I'll probably post pictures when I move everything in... let's see if I have a cage photo kicking around here..

Keep this in mind, while your neighbors may be deaf, they can still feel vibrations through the floor, and if you have neighbors above or below you, they may not be. Honestly, I don't think the music will bother Linus much. I'm one of those people that falls asleep with a noise machine or tv on. If its quiet I'll toss and turn. Eventually, Linus will tune it out.
Avarris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in