Keeping temperatures low in summer - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Keeping temperatures low in summer

I live in a state that has very hot summers, and I'm worried about my hedgie overheating.
His cage is currently 81 degrees Fahrenheit, and his heat lamp is off and my fan is on full speed (we have no air conditioning). He doesn't seem to mind it, I've checked on him several times, and when I first got him the heat lamp somehow went up to 85 when it was on a thermostat, and he didn't mind that either. But I'm still worried and want to find out what I might be able to do to keep him cool enough before the weather gets hotter.
Any suggestions as to what I can do?
ChloëMali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

When they get to hot they tend to splat to help themselves most are fine up to 30°c/86°f some can go a bit over, and some get to hot before that.

You can add a ceramic tile which they can splat on to cool down

A fan with some ice in front so it blows over the cool ice makes the room cooler.
Don't have it point directly at the viv though.

An ice pack or frozen water bottle at the top of the enclosure can help to cool the air, make sure that the hog can't get to them

Keep your window covered in that room to stop the sun getting in.

Make sure you CHE set up is still on. The thermostat won't turn on the heat if its already to hot. You need to keep it on to make sure it doesn't drop incase theres a sudden temp drop.
Mecki likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I also live in a hot state. I've had my hogs cage get to 85 and he didn't even come out of his hidey. I do keep a cool tile in the cage in case he needs it. I haven't seen him do so yet.

I'd also stress that you keep the CHE and thermostat on. As Ria said, it won't kick on unless it gets too cold.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

The thermostat is unfortunately broken, but I'm looking into a new one to get asap. I'm also home all the time now, so if there is a sudden temperature change, I will definitely know and can plug the CHE back in right away.
ChloëMali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

We live in South Africa, and it has gotten over 40 degrees Celsius here, and Igor didn’t seem too bothered. He splatted but still slept under the covers in my bed. I did put an iced bottle in a sock in his cage which he would lay next to, until he felt cool enough and then run on his wheel, cool off and run 😂
He just simply refuses to sleep out in the open and has to be under blankets or in his hide.
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Find a "Chinchilla Stone" They are made explicitly to help small animals keep from getting hot. Granite or marble are also known for being cool and resistant to heating up and even if they do heat up, a quick half-hour in the fridge will set them right.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in