What am I doing wrong? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What am I doing wrong?

Help. Merlin (now 13 weeks old) came to us at 8 weeks. As time has progressed he is becoming more and more unsociable. Lots of hissing and growling and just wanting to burrow under things or get back in his vivarium. He eats and drinks OK, his house is kept at around 21degrees, cleaned out regularly etc etc. just so very unfriendly! Being new to hedge ownership I am both frustrated and worried about this, as this behaviour seems to contradict everything I read before I got him.

Any advice would be very welcome. If he is going to,stay like this I am bitterly disappointed.
CThody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

21 degrees celcius? That's a little too cold for a hedgehog. Also he might be quilling making him a bit grumpier.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

21 is pretty chilly. Try heating his cage up to about 24C or so. How often do you handle him?

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

As the others pointed out, 21C is too low. Hedgehogs need 72F at minimum, but they often prefer it a few degrees warmer. 21C is under 70F, which can risk a hibernation attempt, and being too cold or being in the beginnings of a hibernation attempt can definitely cause grumpiness and low activity. 23-25C is what to aim for.

Could definitely be quilling in addition to the temperature, as some hedgehogs will have an "attitude problem" from quilling that goes even to 15-16 weeks old before tapering off. You should handle him as much as possible despite the grump. Invest in a sleeping/cuddle bag so you can have him out on your lap - a carry bag is also excellent for socialization and bonding, so you can carry him around the house while you do other things. Also remember that hedgehogs in general tend to be timid and defensive by nature, and a lot of hedgies will have at least a little bit of a "grumpy streak" their entire lives. It's just part of their personality. While it can be frustrating for a new owner to have to deal with the initial quilling period, especially if it's a very bad quilling, part of owning a hedgehog is understanding that they might never be a perfectly friendly, outgoing, or cuddly pet. Try to be patient and love him for what he is, even if he doesn't turn out exactly how you hoped.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I'll turn the heat mat up a bit, although he doesn't like being near the mat and always sleeps the furthest point from it for some reason.

I handle him every day, he's out of the vivarium for at least an hour, but just wants to burrow away under a shirt or something similar.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Heat mats/pads are not an ideal method of heating. It could be that it is too hot for him. I would suggest getting a space heater. I only ever use a heating pad if I know it's going to be REALLY cold outside (which, in Texas, is almost never lol) and I need some extra warmth or sometimes I use it after her bath. Heating pads are not a very good heating method because it doesn't actually warm the entire cage, only the one spot, which can either get too hot and cause them not to lay there or can make it so they never want to leave that spot as the rest of the cage is too chilly. Try a space heater and see how that works

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ditto JulieAnne, a heat pad isn't going to provide the heat he needs - try getting a space heater or a CHE that will heat the whole cage. Think of it this way - if you had a room that was 40*F, but it had heated floors, you wouldn't be cozy just because the floors were warm. The whole room needs to be warm.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThody
just wanting to burrow under things or get back in his vivarium. Any advice would be very welcome. If he is going to,stay like this I am bitterly disappointed.

The one word that caught my eye was, "vivarium". What exactly do you mean by this? Is he in a glass tank and do you have dirt and live plants in it? Please verify. Thanks.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi. No, it's not a glass tank, but wooden with glass fronted sliding doors. No plants etc, litter tray and large wheel, bedding etc.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vivs are fairly popular and aesthetically pleasing. It's not always suggested as a "simple" caging option because its usually a DIY project. LG has an entire stack of vivs for her herd.

As for burrowing while out, perfectly normal for a burrowing/sleeping/"cuddling" type. My boy only sleeps when he's out. I'll have him in my lap and he'll just curl up in his fleece. He'll hiss every time I move or disturb his precious beauty sleep lol then throw me a death glare and curl back up again.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in