A lot of questions - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A lot of questions

Hello there! My name is ChloŽ, and I've been trying to join Hedgehog Central since before I even got my hedgie a month ago. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to make an actual account, but I did find a little button at the bottom of the page that said "post new thread" so I'm trying that out.
I'm not sure why I haven't been able to make an account, every time I try I'm denied, and I've used the contact page twice and still no answer. Does anyone know why that might be and how I could make an account? I have so many questions.
Another question that I'd like to ask just in case this does go through and just in case I can never ask another question on here is this:
I'm feeding my 10 week and 3 day old male hedgehog (his name is Prickles ) Castor and Pollux Organix Chicken and Brown Rice cat food. He gets about 110 pieces a night. I think that's more than two tablespoons, but I haven't measured for sure. Most people say a tablespoon is plenty, and so I'm wondering if perhaps I'm feeding too much? I just don't want him to get overweight, but then again, he is growing. Does anyone here see a problem with how much I'm feeding him?
Also, does anyone know where I can buy live bugs online? The pet store only has crickets and on top of that, I'm out of them and can't go anywhere due to Covid-19.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to post again or if this will even go through, but I read all the threads and I love this forum, so I do hope so. I may not be able to reply to any of ya'lls replies, but I will read them all, don't worry.
Thank you!
ChloŽMali is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Okay, feel free to ignore the first question. That one was stupid, oops.
But I'm still wondering about the second and third ones, please!
Old Today, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

So I just want to start with this, to reassure you, and to make others reading thus without seeing your introduction post aware.

There is no need to feel stupid about asking the first question or saying you sure if you can reply back because you wasn't aware that when you made that post it seems to have somehow finally sorted out you having an account. So don't feel stupid.

So all hogs eat different amount. You said you give 110 biscuits, but does he eat all of that or just some--how much?
He is still a baby and growing so over feeding is a lot harder to work out.
Another thing about food you should have a mix of at least 2 biscuits, different brands. If you cant do anything about it with this COVUD-19 around dont worry because it can be sorted out after things go back to normal.

Buying insects online - well no one will be able to suggest anything on this because we dont what country you are in. Its pointless me giving a list of places from the UK if your not in the UK as they won't ship abroad.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awww, thank you. 🙂
He usually eats all but 4-9 pieces a day. He also leaves a lot of crumbs, which probably adds up to about three more pieces.
Oh, I didn't know that. I'm not sure how in all my research, I never saw that mentioned. I'll look for another hedgie suitable cat food to add to his mix. May I also ask why you should have at least two foods? (I'm not doubting you, I promise, I'm just curious and also my parents may not let me buy another kind of food without knowing.) I think I can probably order it online.
Oh dear, I should have thought of that, sorry! I'm in the US, in the Texas to Nebraska sort of range. (I guess that's technically called the Midwest.)
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Emc

Folks usually advise at least two foods for not only more dietary variety, but also as a fall-safe if one food should disappear off the market (food recalls happen!) or if they have a recipe change. Hedgehogs are notoriously picky, and can be stubborn to change in their diet - so, having at least two is recommended.

In terms of how much; I've never raised a baby hedgehog, so I have no idea. 2 tablespoons doenst seem excessive for a baby, but I would weigh weekly - you may need to adjust as he reaches adulthood. I adopted my hedgehog when she was 7 months old, and she eats 6-8g a night - but every hedgehog is different. It's really a matter of keeping an eye on their weight, and adjusting their diet accordingly. For any average adult, 1 tablespoon is frequently more than enough.

If you're in the US, check out Dubiaroaches.com or RainbowMealworms. I've heard great reviews for both, and they also have nice variety of feeders for you to choose from too.
Emc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in