Climbing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Climbing

Hi guys! Quick question. I got my baby girl as a christmas present (best thing ever) and she's now a little over 5 months. At about 3 months old, I noticed her climbing a lot up the sides of her cage (I would hear it and run over immediately, grabbing her so she wouldn't fall). I had taped up cardboard as a quick fix to stop the behavior.
The duct tape holding up the cardboard was collecting a lot of bedding so I finally took it off. I was wondering if the climbing behavior goes away and I can leave the sides of her cage open now, or if I should put new cardboard in, in case she tries climbing again?
I know it's very dangerous for hedgies to climb, so I don't want to risk it if there's a possibility of it starting back up.
Thanks!!
kendallvkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Its quite possible that she was initially climbing due to stress and will settle down as she gets used to her new home. However, we have seen hedgehogs who will climb when they are bored. We have seen climbers that did so because their cage was too small, they didn't have a wheel, a wheel that was too small, or one that wasn't a good style for a hedgehog. We've also seen it with those that didn't like wheeling but were explorers and needed a variety of other objects to keep them entertained.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, mine was a bored climber. I had problems with his wheel in the past and had to take it out and he started climbing out of boredom.
When I got his wheel back in, he stopped climbing all together. But as Kalandra mentioned, it can be one of many reasons, so best to try and troubleshoot each one.

If your girl has a wheel, try coaxing her onto it and see if she runs comfortably. Measure the cage to see if it might not be too small.
If she’s an adventurer, I think it’d be great to try and make her a hedgie safe play pen to let her energy out.
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in