Is he bored or just HYPERACTIVE? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is he bored or just HYPERACTIVE?

Starting to think I've brought home the nutter
Rupert is just go go go! He'll have a couple of days when he just acts like a hyperactive madman, then he'll have a day or so of being a lazy so and so, obviously when he's tired himself out.
He's on his wheel most of the night. When he's not on his wheel he's running up and down and all around the cage as fast as he can, jumping through his feed bowl, trashing the cage, causing general havoc. His latest thing is stacking his little bed (the soft ferret type bed from petsmart) up next to his igloo, and attempting to climb ON TOP of his igloo. He goes in his playpen every night- more of the same, round and round at top speed! Refuses to sit still even when I hold him. So I started to wonder... is he bored? The thing is, he doesn't show much interest in toys. He's got balls, jingly things, squeaky toys, teddy bears. He will occasionally stick his head in a toilet roll tube with a slit down the middle. He showed a bit of interest in a treat ball when I put a dry mealworm in it, but gave up when he realised he had to WORK for his food The only thing he really loves in his playpen is the cardboard guinea pig tube i bought him. I thought he might like it for hiding. No. He likes running through it again and again
So I guess it's not boredom.. besides, he loves his wheel and this seems to be entertainment enough for him. So... is he just a nutjob? LOL Any suggestions on how I could give him something to do to occupy him a bit more?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is he bored or just HYPERACTIVE?

Rupert sounds like such a character! If you want to give him more things to play with you could try some pvc tubes or even a dig box. Both are inexpensive. My hedgie loves her tube and she even sleeps in it. I havent tried the digbox yet, but once we get the new cage setup I'll make one. Be creative. I've found that most hedgehogs find more entertainment out of cheap things you find around your house like shoe boxes, tp rolls, than more expensive toys you buy at petsmart.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like our lil fella ..he runs for 8-10 hours a day all over our apt almost non stop (no cage), he LOVES interacting with other people and animals (cats/dogs) tubes are his fav though without a doubt if he hears it drop even from another room he'll find it within 30 seconds.

Family Was over for the weekend and sure enough grandma woke up with him snuggling into her armpit after a hard nights laps :P

Your guy sounds like a character alright and like he makes his own fun .. a good thing IMHO, after reading about some "problem" headgehogs round here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN5ept1TT60
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh my gosh bubu,
I saw your video and it was so funny. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in