My girl is a giant, is this normal? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My girl is a giant, is this normal?

This is my third year with Lola. I got her as a retired breeder when she was about a year old and I thought she was a large hedgehog at the time, but I was in for a treat. She was about 19oz (538 grams) when I first got her.

I didn't weigh her for a while because I didn't think she was getting any bigger. She had been on the same diet for over a year, same activity level, and frankly when she steadily gets larger, it is hard to notice when I see her every day. However, everytime I brought her out for my friends they were astonished by her size. I knew she was big and never really thought much of it. A year passed between me weighing her and I thought my scale was broken when I put her on there.

34oz !!!! (963 grams) I have done every test I could find to make sure she is not obese. She still can roll up into a tight ball with ease, her walking is normal, her legs look fine, and she just does not look pudgy anywhere. Normal looking hog, just scaled up a couple times.

Is this strange that she has grown like this well after becoming an adult?
JonandJulia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

IS she maybe not an african pigmy hedgehog but has some other breeding in her ?
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

963g sounds absolutely insane for supposedly pygmy hedgehog!

I've heard of some of them getting absolutely massive (ive seen some claim 1kg+ APH, which I cant even begin to imagine) but it's certainly not common. Usually when they are that size, they are typically overweight. If she has grown that much after already reaching adulthood, I would honestly think that she is overweight. I'm not saying she definitely is, but it's the most reasonable explanation. Oftentimes the owners don't see it because theyre so accustomed to their own hog - have you got any pics of her? and are you sure your scale is calibrated haha ( < just kidding)

Last edited by Emc; 12-15-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Did you weight on a hard surface like wooden floor or hard coffee table or on a carpet?

Sounds mad and it my not change a lot but weighing them on a carpeted surface can make them seem heavier than they actually are.
Its not something everyone thinks about I've seen it happen before.
Bluegirl likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
963g sounds absolutely insane for supposedly pygmy hedgehog!

I've heard of some of them getting absolutely massive (ive seen some claim 1kg+ APH, which I cant even begin to imagine) but it's certainly not common. Usually when they are that size, they are typically overweight. If she has grown that much after already reaching adulthood, I would honestly think that she is overweight. I'm not saying she definitely is, but it's the most reasonable explanation. Oftentimes the owners don't see it because theyre so accustomed to their own hog - have you got any pics of her? and are you sure your scale is calibrated haha ( < just kidding)
Yeah I agree with that after adulthood statement. It is quite possible that I just do not see the overweight. The scale is good (and the same one for all her measurements). Here is some recent pictures of her:

if she does seem overweight, don't be afraid to call me out haha
Old 12-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
Did you weight on a hard surface like wooden floor or hard coffee table or on a carpet?

Sounds mad and it my not change a lot but weighing them on a carpeted surface can make them seem heavier than they actually are.
Its not something everyone thinks about I've seen it happen before.
its funny because that was the first thing we thought of because the first weigh-in, the scale was on my bed. Turns out my mattress is hard enough to not change the weight by more than an once after we tried both that and a table. Here is another photo of her:
Old 12-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belties View Post
IS she maybe not an african pigmy hedgehog but has some other breeding in her ?
I'm not sure how to tell! she looks like the typical color and everything. Here is her in semi-angry ball:
Old 12-16-2019, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Emc

Yes, she is most certainly overweight. It is especially noticeable in those latter pics - i’m honestly surprised she can curl into a tight ball, and she looks to be teetering on the edge (if she has not crossed it already), of obesity.

I think she needs a new diet & exercise plan. It’s not an easy task to get a hog to lose weight, but it is possible.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

I agree she is definitely overweight.
Sometimes it can be hard to tell with your own hog, especially if they are chubby as babies or when you first get them, and then you never properly see one that's a perfect shape! So you aren't sure.

We can help you with tips and ways to help her loose weight.
Having gone through it myself I can give a fair more experience wise. But emc is great she helped with Holly and advice.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
I agree she is definitely overweight.
Sometimes it can be hard to tell with your own hog, especially if they are chubby as babies or when you first get them, and then you never properly see one that's a perfect shape! So you aren't sure.

We can help you with tips and ways to help her loose weight.
Having gone through it myself I can give a fair more experience wise. But emc is great she helped with Holly and advice.
did you switch the food? I have been using the same food since I got her. Are there lower fat options, or is it about portion control? She is getting older and I am not sure if she exercises the same length every night. That could be a factor. Did you do anything to change the way your hog exercised?

Tags
body, grams, size, weight gain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in