My girl is a giant, is this normal? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ria

I changed her food completely - slowly though obviously, so its like 13% fat but its like 65% animal protein and 35.5% protein that's just for the 10g I give her.
Emc gave me a lot of information on this part. Theres a thread somewhere on it.

I also put her on strict portion control and weight her food of what she gets and what she eats. I only give her 10g of biscuit now, and she eats 4-8g of that

I also added in more alternatives to takw her off the biscuit because its got a fair bit of carbs and calories that she wasnt burning off, I added in 5g cooked meat once a week, 5g cooked meat and veg once a week and 5-8g scrambled egg (milk free) once a week which helped her a fair bit, all are plain cooked and apart from the egg I steam it all. I keep to the lower fat meats too, apart from the lamb but that's a treat meat really.

Activity I have always made her search for her own insects, because I dont feed live so I hide them around the enclosure (because I have loose bedding) so she has to be active to find them to eat them, I also try to keep them low in fat.
I use dubia roaches, 3 types of isopods, calci worms, locusts, black and brown crickets.

She had a savic wheel its the right size but it was a little small for her, theres also ridges and it dipped a lot, so I changed the wheel and that helped her run more, she has a tic tac wheel (its like a caroline Strom wheel) so that did help.

We are also working on a play pen area that she can get used to, she has never been keen on running around the floor we tried, and downstairs she gets a bit too cold on the floor, so in my room I'm working on setting up a play pen area for her to get used to to build up to an hour a night at least to get her more active to get her down the last 100g I think she needs to loose so she isnt overweight.
JonandJulia likes this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

thanks for the great information. I did make her a new play pin that is probably triple the length of her original area. I moved her food out to the other side along with her wheel. I have also been trying to get her to explore around the house more instead of just sleeping in my sweatshirt. We shall see how this does!

food is the same for now, being more precise with portions though.
JonandJulia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
body, grams, size, weight gain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in