Heating and Lighting Needs - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heating and Lighting Needs

Hi, so I have a 5 month old hedgie named Oliver. I am currently using a red heat lamp to heat his cage. I keep his cage in a warm room in my house and I plan on getting a space heater too just in case. But I was wondering, since I've found alot of claims saying red heat lamps are too bright for hedgehogs, I was wondering if I could use it for his light schedule as well? I flip it off in the night otherwise he won't come out and run. Is it bad for them other than disrupting their sleep schedule? Or is it alright if I keep flipping it off at night as long as I find a way to maintain heating?
Thanks for your help
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 04:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emc

I'm honestly not entirely sure how bright a red light is to a hedgehog. Yes, they can see the light emitted from them but just how bright they are in comparison to a white light, for example, we do not entirely know for certain. So can they be used for daily light? I'm doubtful, personally.

Technically it wont harm your hedgehog, so long as you switch it off at night. But while they can see the light emitted from red bulbs, i dont think it's necessarily a bright light in comparison to actual daytime white bulbs.
Emc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

From what I have seen, red light isnt as bright as the white light generally, its slightly duller.

To hedgehogs it is bright enough to make them not active - I only know this from the amount of people who have used them and their hedgehogs wouldn't come out and be active in the night with the red light, but as soon as it was swapped to just a normal heat bulb they were out all night running on wheels and around the enclosure.

No one can tell you how bright it is to a hedgehog, but from this we know its bright enough to stop them being active.
I don't believe its as good for daylight, warm white would be better as its got more of a natural light feel but is probably wont harm them.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you currently using a thermostat with the red heat lamp?

Rather than keeping the red bulb, turning it off at night, and then coming up with some other source of heat for the nighttime, it would be far simpler to just replace the red bulb with a no-light, heat bulb on a thermostat.

Then you can use any light in the room for the daylight. You could even put it on a timer if you like.

By using a no-light, heat lamp with a thermostat, you know the right temperature is being kept constant whether it is day or night.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in