Temperature - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Emc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Temperature

I just got my hedgie yesterday. Her name is pearl. I live in Florida and the air conditioner runs all but a couple months out of the year. The heat is only on for a few weeks and in between it doesn’t run at all. In the summer months we keep our air no less than 77 degrees (I personally get cold and do not like forced air). My pearl has her own room and I have the ac vent closed in there. I have a small digital thermometer in her home and it is reading between 77-80. I bought a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat control but this is my question... I’m worried about her being cold or uncomfortable but I don’t want to cook her either. But given that I don’t keep my ac down lower than 77 is it really necessary to set it up or should I take it back and just see how she does?
New2hedgies2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

To be honest I would personally set it up just in case it did drop so then you have that safety of incase the cage does drop its there, it wont go on it doesnt need to. But say it did get colder, and then you dont have it and your hog hibernate you'll wish you had it!
Plus also when they get older a lot of them like it hotter so its a good thing to have ready set up for changing it higher if/when that happens. For now just have it set at 77 and it will make sure it never drops below that. And then up it when its needed for when she is older.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

Set it up; sudden temperature fluctuations can cause hibernation attempts, and having a heat set up takes a whole lotta worry off of you. Because you have a thermostat, there is zero risk of overheating your hedgehog as the thermostat will automatically turn it off when needed, and similarly turn it back on should your room temp drop. Better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!
Mecki and belties like this.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you guys you both make very valid points! I’ve done a lot of research but I am a new mom and I am experiencing all this for the first time! I just want my pearl to be happy and healthy 😊
Old 10-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

She's a cutie !
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you ☺️ she’s a sweet little girl!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in