Beginner Questions - Please Help! - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
I feel like this topic is a bit stretched. Nothing will naturally experience more than two 12/12 light dark days a year, so strictly adhering to that seems too artificial to me. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s suggested due to the potential of false hibernation, right? Temperature would drastically play a bigger part in that. I’ve always had Christina’s house close to a window so she gets a natural cycle year round, and it’s never had any type of negative effect on her. Just my unsolicited two sense 🙂
I would agree that one doesn't have to be overly strict on this, but it depends on one's location and circumstances. All summer, I need to close our blackout curtains as soon as the sun hits the window (around noon-ish); otherwise that AZ sun heats up that room like crazy.

I feel better having a timed light for my hedgehog (he's in that room). That way I know he's getting a minimum of hours of light per day. Just one less thing to think about.
belties likes this.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

We have our timer set for 12 hours on so yes during the summer months she does get more daylight than that but in winter can never get less than 12 hours of light. I do not believe that the extra hours causes any change but the real short and cloudy days of winter causes many changes with most animals, egg laying ,breeding,and hibernation.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ria

I live in the uk, the type of cage I have doesnt get much room even with the main light on, my curtains have to stay closed most the time so theres no natural light. I have in the enclosure on a timer so it comes on the same day stays on roughly 12 hours, so that it stays fairly consistant and not some really long days and some really short days and as mecki says its one less thing to worry about.

You do need to make sure they don't get super long days and then super short days, a couple hours isnt a big deal 5hours difference can set them into hibernation.

It doesn't need to be strict but some of you ARE making it look a bit like its not important at all when it is - maybe its just the way I've read it but just making sure that anyone else reading does know its important just bot strictly needed to be 12 hours but close to.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in