Guinea pig quarantine - I know this isn’t the right place - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

I know this is a hedgehog forum, but I don’t know where to ask. I’ve tried Guinea pig cages forum, but it won’t let me post so I don’t know where to turn. I was wondering if anyone knows if I have to quarantine my guinea pig from my other guinea pig if I he place I bought them from had them caged literally right next to each other in glass cases. And before anyone yells at me I know I should adopt, not shop, but my idiot self for some reason never even considered the fact that you could adopt guinea pigs (I know it’s teally stupid. Also, should I quarantine my guinea pig from my hedgehog?? I didn’t with the first one because when I posted about stacking their cages know told me I should and I didn’t think about it until now.

Can anyone point me towards a good forum.

Last edited by Zepplin; 07-20-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Zepplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

guineapigcages.com has an active guinea pig forum

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

As for allowing different species to interact, it's usually best to avoid that unless you know for sure if it is safe. I know that guinea pigs should not interact with rabbits. Not only do they not understand each others body language, but each can carry a disease that is harmful (or fatal) to the other species.

Rabbits and dogs, on the other hand, can often interact provided the dog behaves well.

I don't know if much is known about hedgehogs with other species (like guinea pigs) so better safe than sorry.

On a side note, my hedgehog happens to not pay much attention to our dogs. However, he balls up if he sees the rabbit. I make a point now to keep those two apart.

My piggies could still be in the same room with my rabbits, but their cage was raised up where the rabbits could not touch the piggies.

oops... just saw that you tried the guineapigcages forum. What was the problem? Did you join the forum so you could post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9218lo res.jpg (84.1 KB, 7 views)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

If the guinea pig is from an unreputable (i.e petstore) source then yes, they should be quarantined in a separate room in your house away from all other animals for a minimum of 2-4 weeks.

Your hedgehog should never meet your guinea pig. They do not speak the same language, and hedgehogs being a naturally solitary species there is absolutely no reason nor benefit of having the two together. A hedgehogs quills could hurt a curious guinea pig and when they are gaining nothing from the interaction, it is not a risk worth taking.

When did you sign up to the guinea pig forum? If recently, you have to wait until your account gets approved I believe.
Emc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would quarantine them separately. This is the forum I use that has lots of good info: http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/
Stacy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in