What Type of Wheel? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What Type of Wheel?

Hi!
I am wondering if Silent Runners or Carolina Storm Bucket Wheels are better? I have a Silent Runner and it is SO hard to clean. Is the Storm Bucket Wheel silent also?
Thanks!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Storm Bucket Wheel is virtually silent and is super easy to clean. You can even make your own by following a tutorial. (That's what I did.)
The only noise you may hear is the patter of little feet. The wheel itself is silent.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

The storm bucket wheel was the 4th and final wheel we purchased for our baby. Everything else was hard to clean and noisy. Including the silent runner. The only time my kiddo got to fully rest was after the bucket wheel came. I put a pic of the one we got below. Thanks Jen
Attached Images
File Type: png BF061C5F-FCC1-4ABB-9DEF-085E8D496E5D_1563373896743.png (4.28 MB, 10 views)
jjblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Bucket wheels are easy to clean and so long as you don't get the skate bearing wet, quiet. Nice thing is, even if you get the bearing wet, you can replace it!

My very first wheel was a bucket wheel. I purchased 2 at the time. One was retired after I think 10 years of use due to a crack that formed between two of the holes that connect the bucket to the skate. The other, I still have. I believe it was decommissioned after 15 years as the running surface tends to bend out of shape easily now. 15 years of hedgehog feet, washing, etc. I think it had a total of 2 bearing changes (both because I was careless) and technically its still usable. Years may be off by a year or two, its been a long time

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to clean the bucket wheel with baby wipes. But then he started making a bigger mess in the bucket! Now I "soak" it each morning and wipe it dry with a paper towel.

I keep the skate wheel dry by angling the wheel in my sink. This way the running surface and the back can get wet without the middle (wheel part) of the back getting wet. By rolling the wheel with water in it, the poo gets soaked and wipes out easily with a paper towel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190522_114413 lo res.jpg (150.5 KB, 4 views)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I tried every kind of (non-saucer) wheel that I could find in town and my hedgehog would find some way to completely ruin it in no time flat. After a few years I finally tried a Storm wheel and it's the last wheel I've ever needed to buy. In the long run I can't imagine how much money I've saved compared to the wheels I was using before.
Pmelyea11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in