Purple hard stomach - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Purple hard stomach

Hey everyone I’m new to the group but not to hedgehogs. I have two rescues right now and recently I noticed that my little girl looks really overweight and her stomach is hard. I also noticed that her tummy looked purple. Not sure if she is just over weight and that itsnormal or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6023C3D9-A427-4DD4-986E-5C50703AD4D2_1562039883365.jpg (100.7 KB, 27 views)
GatsbyBryr99! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I have a couple of thoughts but need more information. So here are some questions for you to ask yourself.

Have you had her very long? Is it a sudden change or has she been gradually getting bigger? Was she with a male previously, or could she have been? How is her eating and activity levels? How hard is hard?

Sudden changes need to be addressed by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Sudden bloating can be caused by a variety of issues, including bloating from gas, internal bleeding, tumor growth, etc. Sometimes with these you'll see them become less active, and if the bloating is severe enough they will stop eating/doing anything.

From some of my questions, you can guess I'm wondering if she could be pregnant. From the image it also looks like her nipples are more distended than normal. This could be normal for her as I've had females who you could see them very well even though they have never been bred, but if she is pregnant, then those more noticeable nipples could indicate engorgement which means birth should be soon.

I'm no expert in hedgehog pregnancies. Only ever experienced one, which was a surprise from my first hedgehog and was nearly 25 years ago, but from what I do vaguely remember she was pretty firm feeling at the end, and was "butt heavy." Meaning she carried most of the weight in the backend. Where the hedgehogs I have had who had internal bleeding were just very swollen feeling and distended throughout.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

My hedgehog had uterine and ovarian cysts and tumors and her tummy looked similar before. She had to have an emergency spay. I would definitely consider an ultrasound.
Sandwich's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in