How many hours of sleep - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many hours of sleep

We just got our almost 4 month old hedgie on Saturday. How much should he be sleeping? It is light here from about 6am until 9:30pm. He did eat, sleep, and run on his wheel when he was awake last night but when I checked on him at 6:15am and he was already asleep and he is still asleep now at almost 8pm. Should we wake him at a certain point?
Smilee1079@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

With summer here in the midwest US we have the same daylight hours. Our little one has a light that is on from 6 am to 6 pm but with the extra daylight she doesn't wake up now till 9 pm and is asleep at 545 am. The extra daylight doesn't bother them just make sure it doesn't fall below 12 hours light per day. Ours will take more naps during the night in the winter where in summer she stays active and awake all night with the shorter night.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

They're nocturnal; they often aren't active until around 10pm at night (sometimes my own hog is sound asleep till midnight!), and most will go to bed between 5-7am. It sounds perfectly normal to me - nothing to be concerned about, so long as he is eating and drinking.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

How do you socialize them if they are asleep so late? We got him out of his cage around 8:45 and let him sit with me for a bit to get used to me and then we fed him a little and put him in the cage and he is walking around a little.
Smilee1079@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

In the winter I get LilBit out at 8pm,in the summer it's 9pm, for an hour or two, and she eats her snacks and sleeps a while on my lap on the couch with only the TV on for light or some nights she will go exploreing under the pillows and couch covers for a while . She is more of a cuddler than an explorer though and normally likes to lay on my lap and nap or lay tight next to my leg. You have to just bond with them on their terms. They are all different . Oh ,and it is best if they wake up on their own and play and poop a little before bonding time. They are more friendly and less messy!
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

You can take them out and let them sleep on you; its a great method for building their trust.

Additionally, when they are awake, you can sit with them and talk to them - it'll help them get used to your presence.

His change in regular sleeping times could also be related to where his enclosure is located; Is the room he's in dark? My hog will only venture out in literally complete darkness. If there's any light in the room, she'll just sleep until its gone.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2019, 04:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

I have Holly on her own light cycle and use curtains I made to block out the extra light we get in the summer so her cycle is actually the same.
The curtains I made her also make sure that her enclosure is pitch black at night during winter and summer so that if she's not active I can rule out there being any light.

I get Holly out at 7pm but she doesn't really wake up, so she just lays on me or tight up next to me and sleeps, but she is a cuddle type of hog, she starts waking up around 9:30-10pm and is asleep again around 2-3am taking a few naps here and there.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in