Hedgehog eating very less - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aj.t

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
ven

Default Hedgehog eating very less

I just got my hedgehog one week ago. she was all good till yesterday .she is eating less than a tablespoon of cat food.she usually eats one and a half tablespoon of cat food. i have not changed its food . she is also not very active . is this normal or should i be concerned ?
ven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

A week is still a small amount of time and she could still very well be adjusting to her new surroundings, which might make her less active and have less appetite. Does she have an exercise wheel? What temperature is her environment kept at? Is she drinking normally?
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

DO you have her on a 12 hour light 12 hour dark schedule ? By less active do you mean on her own at night or when you interact with her? Any change in behavior is a cause to be concerned but you need to find the cause.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
ven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
A week is still a small amount of time and she could still very well be adjusting to her new surroundings, which might make her less active and have less appetite. Does she have an exercise wheel? What temperature is her environment kept at? Is she drinking normally?
the temperature is around 25 degree celsius. i got her an exercise wheel but she was too big . so i have to get her a new one by tom. she drinks normally.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
ven

Quote:
Originally Posted by belties View Post
DO you have her on a 12 hour light 12 hour dark schedule ? By less active do you mean on her own at night or when you interact with her? Any change in behavior is a cause to be concerned but you need to find the cause.
yes. she is active when she is with me. but when i keep her in the cage she goes back into her tunnel n comes out to play just for few hours. how much should they eat everyday ? cuz she eats very less n m worried
Old 06-29-2019, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

The temperature shouldn’t be a problem... my girl eats around a tablespoon of dry diet every night plus insects. You said you got her a week ago, but how old is she? Hedgehog quilling can start as early as six weeks and can sometimes last up to a year, but generally speaking, lasts around 4-6 months of age. Could she be quilling? That’s an uncomfortable time for them and they do decrease activity sometimes because of that.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
ven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
The temperature shouldn’t be a problem... my girl eats around a tablespoon of dry diet every night plus insects. You said you got her a week ago, but how old is she? Hedgehog quilling can start as early as six weeks and can sometimes last up to a year, but generally speaking, lasts around 4-6 months of age. Could she be quilling? That’s an uncomfortable time for them and they do decrease activity sometimes because of that.
yes ! she is quilling n she is 2 months.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quilling could definitely contribute to the lack of energy. With that being said, it’s possible there’s more going on. Monitor her closely to make sure she’s eating, drinking, and excreting waste. If she’s not as active but still eating and pooping, she might just be having some off days.
ven likes this.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Make sure it is very dark at night. Ours will be less active and eat less of her dry food at night on full moon nights if we leave the curtains open at night. She likes it very dark and will limit activity if not pitch black.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in