Suggestions Needed - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pegwms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suggestions Needed

I just adopted a one year old male on Friday. Tonight i went to his cage to top off his food and he’s gone - as in not in his cage, as in vanished. I checked the cage of my female hedgie, thinking I accidentally put him in her cage. But there is only 1 there. Anyone ever had this happen?
Pegwms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Find him... they like to hide in dark places like under furniture. If you have other pets, keep an eye on them as well.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Make sure the temp is warm for him ,put food and water and a hide close to it and he may be hiding in it in the morning. They can be escape artists. Turn of the lights and sit in the dark quietly and you may hear him stirring after a while also.
belties is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi there this happened a few times to us too when we first got our girl! we blocked off the door to her box and she usually sleeps the day away without getting up much anyway and we were terrified to find her missing! she somehow pushed her way out and her usual go-to spot is a dark corner at the side of a cabinet. but one time crawled into a little pipe that leads to the storage space below.. that was the biggest scare as we took a while to find her! perhaps find out where he could have got out from as well - the cage 'holes' are too wide or..? Hedgies look round but they can somehow 'stretch out' and squeeze themselves through slim tight places!

if you could get him used to a dark spot where he could chill inside the cage that would be great too! we placed a burrow igloo bed in her box that she now loves because its snuggly soft and dark inside, so that's her go-to spot now
sorry for the long reply but a dark corner would probably be the best bet to find him!

Last edited by Esquinaonthesea; 06-20-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Esquinaonthesea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

I would try all the places you think he could be and then all the places you think is impossible !!
You can leave a light dusting of flour in the door way of rooms a so at least you can narrow it down to one room.
Definitely leave food and water around.

If you have stairs check both upstairs and downstairs. It is possible for them to climb or down them !!

Check under the fridge (thats dark and warm) under tv cabinets under the furniture and then in the furniture, try draws as well. Any small little gap weather you think its possible or not.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

He’s home after an adventure! Yeah
Mecki likes this.
Pegwms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lol my cousin's hedgehog also escaped the first time she came to visit. We found her in the couch..
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in