Is my hedgie too thin or just athletic? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my hedgie too thin or just athletic?

Quill is my first hedgehog and is 5 months old. He's the best little guy and I love him to pieces, but I'm having a hard time keeping him at a good weight. He's super active (logged 11.72 kilometers on his wheel last night with a max speed of 6.5 kpm) and a picky eater, which is a challenge. He's a small hedgie to begin with, and his weight hovers around 230 grams. When he sits bunched up, he seems ok, but once he's stretched out he looks a bit like the Mo Farah of hedgehogs.

When I first got him, he was eating Fromm Gold and Wholesomes Sportsmix, but about a month ago he decided he didn't like his food anymore, and I went scrambling to find something else. I syringe fed him for a while and got his weight up to 246, but once we found something he'd eat on his own (Fromm kitten), his weight went back down to 230. He's had a vet checkup to rule out any health issues: his teeth are fine, and his blood work was normal.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether he seems too skinny or just athletic. At 246, the vet thought he was lean but that his weight was ok, but since he's back down to 230, I don't know whether he's still at an acceptable weight. I've attached a few pictures from different angles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4457.jpg (151.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4458.jpg (141.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4468.jpg (286.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4375.jpg (273.6 KB, 19 views)
erika_m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quick correction: He's 6 months old, not 5. Sorry for the typo!
Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

His sides do look like they go in a little too much, he doesnt look like a perfect tear drop from the top, to me anyway.
Whats the fat of the food your feeding ?? And are you feeding any high in fat insects ??
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

He's on Fromm kitten food, which is 20% fat. I haven't found any insects he likes yet. I've tried mealworms (live, dried, and freshly killed), waxworms, and dried pillbugs, and he refuses all of those.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Around 6 months of age is when they start filling in more as they usually have stopped growing around then. Keep an eye on him for another month or so and see how he looks then. Of course if he starts looking thinner then a vet visit would be in order.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika_m View Post
He's on Fromm kitten food, which is 20% fat. I haven't found any insects he likes yet. I've tried mealworms (live, dried, and freshly killed), waxworms, and dried pillbugs, and he refuses all of those.
My hedgehog turned up his nose at the first offering of live mealworms. I tried again later and he hesitantly ate just one of two. Next time he ate just 2 of 3. Now he'll eat 10 at a time - and really gobble them up.

Just wondering if you tried offering one specific type (I'd suggest live) more than 1x. Sometimes it may take them a few times of being offered something before they finally decide to try it.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in