Getting a Hoglet sooner than expected, visiting them soon... - Advice wanted! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting a Hoglet sooner than expected, visiting them soon... - Advice wanted!

Hello all! It's been a hot minute since my last post.

Some of you may remember that I was placed on a breeders list for a June litter- Uh, well...My mum found a hoglet nearby who just so happens to be ready for collection right on my Birthday!

I've asked many of the necessary questions via Email to the breeder, both parents are from tracked breeding lines and while their care sheet definitely leaves much to be desired (It mentions letting them roam in a exercise ball for example, and says insects should be given only as treats...Yeah.) they appear to have the hogs best interest at heart.

This is where the issues come in...My custom built vivarium won't be ready until the middle of June and the Hoglet is ready on May 22nd. This is apparently not a huge deal as the breeder has kindly offered to provide us with accommodation that we plan to use temporarily;

A plastic sided cage who's dimensions are L100 x W51 x H37cm and a heat pad.

This would only be used temporarily and we have everything else ready (Hides, Toys, CSB wheel, thermometer, a spare CHE bulb for the viv, ect) but here's where the problems I'd like advice with lie;

Has anyone else ever housed a hog in temporary accommodations for a month? The cage supposedly has an opening in the top so large items will fit.

My room is rather cold, often around 13-16 degrees, I have a little space heater that I plan to run for a few hours each day but I am unsure if this and the heating pad will suffice- Does anyone have any advice for keeping the temperature stable?

Food - Currently the hoglet is fed a mixture of Royal Canin Foods, an unnamed brand and Purina One.
Does anyone have any UK brands they would really reccomend?
We have a few in mind such as Avant-garde and Wainwright's

and finally is there anything I should look for or ask the breeder when I go visit the Hoglet later this week? It'll be my first time in a good few years seeing an APH in the flesh and I am ecstatic!
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Sounds like a zoozone 2 cage should be a blue bottom and clear top with bars at the top only. And its not a good idea to have an easy way up to them or the hog can squeeze out (much like a hamster)
If you put your current che up in using the guard to balance it on the bars that will be better heat, or if you plan to keep is a back up cage/holiday cage you can buy a dome che (you'll want it 100-150w can be found easily on amazon) and you can use the thermostat you would for the che in the viv, and the same bulb too (assuming you have the more common black che bulb) the heat pad probably wont do a lot unless its a petnap with thermostat control (but then it would have been specified so maybe double check) And just put something more solid on the sides of bars or put tin foil on the outer edges (a lot of people this because it helps the zoozone2 keep in the heat)

The royal chain and purina one are likely to be okay but I'd double check ingredients and nutrition analysis of the specific ones she is using. The unknown brand doesn't sound so promising !!
So anyway a list of brands of good foods (in the uk) are:
Purina one
Royal chain
Hills science plan
Harringtons
James well beloved
Iams (although this is hugely debated now - but theres a like 1 or 2 that are still okay always put in a mix too)
Arden garden
Optimanova
Pro plan
If you don't find good ones in pets at home then look on zooplus thats where a lot of people look.

Holly wasnt in a temp cage but we did end up moving her to a vivarium in November, she was in a zoozone 2 before that throughout the summer (I collected her end of June) and we was having pretty good heat so I didnt have a heat set up until we started come back to winter (obviously had a thermometer to check the temp and I had the che just not set up)
But still needed to put her in a viv because my brothers like trying to freeze the house. So when I moved her over I used half her old cardboard bedding and then half new, with all the same toys she had out and set it up as similar as I could to how it was in the zoozone, and everything went fine and smooth and she settled easy.

When you go you should be aloud to see the parents of your little one, and make sure your little one is seemingly healthy not looking overweight clear eyes. Things you can actually see, same as for the parents although the mum could be a little overweight due to the babies.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

If your room is that cold, you're going to need an overhead heat source in the form of a Ceramic Heat Emitter. Heat mats are safe (like all heat sources; only if used with a thermostat), but they do not heat air temperature. Your enclosure will struggle to reach 22-24C (which is what most hedgehogs do best at) with a heat mat alone. You'd be best off using a ceramic heat emitter (combined with the space heater) even in the temporary enclosure. Like already mentioned, you'd want a 100-150W CHE (I recommend the latter in a room this cold) used of course in conjunction with a thermostat.

Food wise; I like AATU, meowing heads, orijen, acana, canagan, and carnilove. If my hedgehog could offer you a suggestion it'd be the james wellbeloved adult turkey haha - she loves their grain recipe, and it's her favourite kibble.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys!
I'll be investing in another thermostat as well as a dome for the CHE bulb I have (it is the standard black one though at the moment I can't remember if it's 100w or 150w!). Do you have any idea what size I'd need? I have a long large cage for the CHE but I figure it would be fine just in the dome on the wire top? Should I invest in a pet nap too as an alternative or back up?

I am a little worried about it melting the wheel or wires to be honest.

I haven't heard of a lot of those foods! I had a look at AATU but the fat looked rather high, I'll take a look at them all- Love the name Meowing Heads especially. xD

I actually met the little man today funnily enough! He was wonderful and very very active, he seemed bright and alert and showed no discomfort- Though he did huff a few times. The Breeder was also very nice and answered all my questions eagerly, it's obvious how much they love their hogs!

Sadly the father was a stud from another breeder to widen gene pools and mama hog was busy with the other hoglets so we didn't get to see much of her.

Got a suuuper cute picture of him though, 3 weeks and then I'll be a full-time hog-father! Nervous doesn't begin to describe it! 😖
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_image2_1557165508358.jpg (251.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

He is so cute. You'll have your hands full. The dome che will be fine the guard wont work with the dome
You should be fine with just the dome che on the bars, I wouldnt really bother with the petnap if you have che. The che works better anyway.

The che wont get hot enough to melt anything the bars dont get that hot (that I noticed anyway) as it wont get hotter than what you set the thermostat to.

Oh thats another point, you'll want to start with the same temp the hog is kept at currently, so if you dont know this then it's a good idea to ask the breeder so you can have it at around that temp for when you bring him home
Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Emc

If you're using a 150W, you generally need the 25cm dome - but always check the wattage capacity before you buy, and ensure that it has a ceramic/porcelain socket if you're using it with a CHE. I use this one; it's intend for use with light emitting heat sources (hence reflector), but it works just fine with a 150W CHE. The larger dome also disperses the heat better over a larger area, so I would recommend the 25cm if you ca get your hands on one.

You don't need a heat mat, and overhead heating is more natural way of heating the enclosure anyway (as heat comes from above, not from below) - overhead heating is also much more efficient, so theres no need for extra heat from below.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

That's a good point Ria, I'll message the breeder soon and find out what temperature their set ups are at!

Checked the bulb I have and it's an 100w bulb- I'll buy a 150w one next pay check, if the temperature they keep him in at the moment is a tad low I might try the 100w bulb for a bit just because the 21cm dome we got from swell reptiles max wattage is 150w and I don't want to tempt fire hazard fate..

Hopefully the Komodo Black Dome Clamp Lamp Fixture 21cm is acceptable?

Thanks so much for the help guys, being a first-time hog owner has me in a bit of a tizzy so I bet I'll be posting a LOT of questions these next few weeks.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

I've seen people use the 21cm dome's perfectly fine. Even in cool rooms like yours.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

phew that's eased my mind a bit, here's hoping everything turns out well!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi there! How exciting your getting your little hoglet soon 🦔 Looks like the other questions have been covered well, so thought I would recommend Iams cat food for hedgies. My two hedgehogs absolutely love the meat flavoured ones. Just make sure not to get fish ones 😀. The level of Protein and Fat in the Iams adult food is very good. I have found it to be a good food to keep hedgehogs at a healthy weight. I know you probably already know this, but just make sure not to get "hedgehog food". Often the food they use is not good, and the fat in them foods are disgusting 🤢. Just a small suggestion there, but enjoy collecting your hedgehog! Very exciting ��
HappyHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in