Hedgehog not eating - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hedgehog not eating

I've had Frisk and Chara for over a year now. I have been giving them both the same food since day one. Frisk is a runt, so he naturally eats less than his sister. He also prefers sleeping to any form of exercise. I've noticed that he has been eating his regular food less and less. He will scarf down live mealworms no problem. (I tested this today after him not really eating for three days) I don't know why he just decided to stop eating it. I've mixed his regular food with the mealworms, but he'll just pick around the pellets. Does anyone else have this experience? Any advice? Aren't mealworms high in fat?

I was thinking of making a worm paste (ew) to mix his food with so he still has the flavor, but gets his normal food.
FriskChara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Mealworms are very fatty yes. But if he's not eating he's also probably loosing weight so the mealworms will help a little.
When he stopped eating his food did you give him mire mealworms ?? Hedgehogs are smart, and if they know that by not eating the biscuit it means they are getting mealworms it can play a role afterwards.

Are you able to check inside his mouth ?? His teeth and gums really, if he has a mouth issue that could be making it difficult to eat the biscuit, but as mealworms are softer it doesnt hurt as much/at all.
If you think you see anything, if you can look then go the vet asap.

The other thing is you need him eat something fast, so you could hills a/d or carnivore care wet food (you will defiantly find them at a vet) And try just giving him some in a bowl see if he eats it on his own, if not your going to need to start syringe feeding him.

I think no matter what even if you dont get a look into his mouth to see anything you'll be needing to take him to the vet to get him looked at.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I did give him the mealworms after he wouldn't eat for a couple of days, but I don't normally give them mealworms as treats. Mealworms are more for special occasions. I was worried, so I went out to get some to test if it was a digestive problem or if he was just being difficult. I found that he would eat about five pellets while I'm holding them. I'm setting up an appointment for the vet tomorrow for both of them. Wish me luck!

Last edited by FriskChara; 05-05-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

I hope its something simple and easy to fix !!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

He's fine. He was just being picky for a couple of days. he went back to his regular eating habits later.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Thats good to hear. Keep an eye on him. For future you can use cotton buds to open up their mouths to see inside them. Just though you'd like to know if you havent found out already.

Tags
food choice, food help, health concern

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in