Hedgehog Cage Question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mecki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog Cage Question

Im thinking about getting a hedgehog and I am researching cages. I have a few questions:
[*]Is it safe to get a cage with levels or balconies with ladders? Will they fall and hurt themselves?[*]Is a glass aquarium a good cage?[*]How tall should the cage be? I've heard hedgehogs are quite the escape artist.[*]Is a wire cage okay? Will they bite it?
Sorry if its a lot of questions, just curious.

Thanks!
cacloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great that you are looking for answers before getting a hedgehog!

The following link goes over all that you need to know in choosing the right kind of cage and accessories and bedding:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...ories-faq.html
nikki likes this.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacloud View Post
Im thinking about getting a hedgehog and I am researching cages. I have a few questions:
[*]Is it safe to get a cage with levels or balconies with ladders? Will they fall and hurt themselves?[*]Is a glass aquarium a good cage?[*]How tall should the cage be? I've heard hedgehogs are quite the escape artist.[*]Is a wire cage okay? Will they bite it?
Sorry if its a lot of questions, just curious.

Thanks! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif[/IMG]
You can use levels and balconies but they do need to have railings, hedgehogs are very clumsy and will accidentally walk backwards off of things all the time if they don’t have a guard.

Glass aquariums aren’t great because they don’t have much ventilation and usually aren’t big enough, but vivariums like for reptiles often work.

They can definitely climb, walls should be like 13 inches high or so. But they can also use toys as ladders to escape so it’s best to have a lid. I have a hedgehog that somehow managed to climb several feet on to a human bed from the floor once after escaping the 12 inch walls of his playpen. 🤷‍♀️

Wire can be dangerous because they can climb it and fall, a lot of people use wire cages but I think they put something over the wire so they can’t climb.
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hedgehogs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in