How to coax hog out of his hide for bonding time?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mecki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to coax hog out of his hide for bonding time?!

How to you all get your new, timid, unsocialized (or what have you) hog out of their hide for bonding time. I usually dangle a snack and he smells it and come out but I was going to do bonding time twice today so one earlier (5pm) and again later at 9pm. I usually do the 9pm and don’t have a problem getting him out but maybe because it’s earlier and not our regular schedule he’s not having it! IDK 😐
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Keep him in whatever sack he’s sleeping in! This will not only keep him calmer but also feel more secure as he’s still in part of his “home”. Daily direct contact is always good so they bond to you more, but even wrapped in a blanket or sack will ease any discomfort or timidity.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm new like you, but this is what I've been doing. I sit inside that pen and put a fleece lap pad on my lap. Mecki is usually sleeping in his tunnel in his cage so I take out the entire tunnel and force him out onto the lap pad. I give him a minute or two to wake up and then I pick him up in my hands.

I know he wants to get down, but I persist in holding him (actually he tries to walk off my hand so he ends up walking from hand to hand).

Then I eventually let him down. I sit with legs crossed and the lap pad draped over, so his only place to hide is under the pad. My sneaky trick is that by going under the pad, he's forced to be up against my bare leg (I wear shorts). So he's snuggling up against my skin and getting used to me (bonding) even if he's not actively doing much.

He'll also wander around inside the pen for a bit too. But he's never too far from me since the pen prevents that.

I do this early evening usually (like you) and sometimes in mid-morning. Then later at night, I'll take him out the same way-- but this time I put him on the lap pad and fold it over him (so he's closed in). Then I sit him on my lap while I sit on the couch watching TV. I'll 'open' the folded-over fleece just enough so he can peek out and see me. That's how we bond in the evening.

[And side bonus for me is that it keeps me from snacking then! ]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pen in front of hedgehog cage.jpg (231.1 KB, 6 views)
Robinzen1 likes this.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in