Do you take your hog out and about? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you take your hog out and about?

When you go out shopping or running errands do you take your hog in a snuggle sack with you? Or is it a no no?
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

It depends on the venues animal policy but it’s never a bad thing as it acclimated them much quicker and desensitizes them 🙂
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah like pet friendly places. I know in my area big box home supply stores and of course pet supply stores I can take him!

Old 05-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Glad you brought this up. I've been thinking I should do the same (weather permitting of course -- some stores can be quite cold). I haven't even used the carry bag I made for this. (I used it for my 'prior' Mecki, but not this one yet.)

I should give it a try. Maybe start out doing it just at home, and in the yard.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you think a hedgehog wants to be out and about during the day? Why do we try to change Hedgehogs from what they are? The arfe not a domesticated animal. Get a cat .
Hedgehog Swag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecki View Post
Glad you brought this up. I've been thinking I should do the same (weather permitting of course -- some stores can be quite cold). I haven't even used the carry bag I made for this. (I used it for my 'prior' Mecki, but not this one yet.)

I should give it a try. Maybe start out doing it just at home, and in the yard.
Can you post a picture of the carry bag you made? That would be a good idea for at home for bonding time with a new hog.
Hedgehog swag, I never meant to offend anyone nor do I want to disrespect the hog, I was simply asking!
Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

I don't think its a good thing if your going to do it loads. Like sometimes yes, because it could help in the long run for like vet appointments.

However I think it also highly depends on the hog and what sort of place you live and plan on taking them. I would NEVER take any hedgehog outside let alone to go shopping as even in the summer here you can get get some very cold gusts of winds. Most of them are very light sensitive too. Holly can cope with the lights around my house, as they are never majorly bright (because I'm light sensitive too) taking her out where the sun is going to be really bright would just hurt her eyes, and thats highly unfair as there is NOTHING to protect their eyes.

Also if your taking them you'd have to wake then up in the day when they are sleeping to take them, and then its not like they will go back to sleep, because your taking them out, going a noisy environment, so all they are just going to be alert each time, and they wont sleep

And going out to pet shops, all it takes is for an animal, another person, or a staff member to have mites one them and then your hog is now at risk of getting them because you took them there.

Its up to each individual owner with what you do and what you think. But I personally would never encourage it. Its 100% not necessary, and its not going to benefit the hog really.
nikki and belties like this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just my 2 cents worth but I agree with Ria. Hedgehogs are a solitary nocternal animal that realy do not benifit from daytime outside stresses. Being woke up during their sleep time is not real good for them. That is the reason we have lights and timers to regulate their sleep. While daytime vet visits are nessasary it can be stressfull for them. We have to take ours on a 8.5 hour daytime road trip several times a year. Evan though she is in her house and dark and can sleep she still takes 2 days to get back to normal after wards. Personaly I do not think all the risks involved are worth it. OK done with the soap box.
nikki likes this.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

It’s definitely a choice to be made by you. They are nocturnal animals, yes, but *some* hedgehogs quite enjoy strolls during the day every ~once and a while~ so it really does depend on each hog’s interests. I have found it to be a great tool to desensitize them to unfamiliar senses so that in the future smaller things don’t stress them out as much. Just as we are diurnal, *some* of us enjoy late nights or nighttime activities, so it’s up to you what you feel is best!
Mecki likes this.
Aj.t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Emc

I think I'm with Aj.t more on this one; This is something that needs to be assessed individually vs looking at it from a overall species perspective. Yes, hedgehogs are nocturnal, but I think it's important to address that in captivity, animals can adjust quite well to experiences that aren't the 'norm' for their species. Hedgehogs are prey animals, so have likely adapted to hunting at night to escape predators and in the case of the African hedgehogs; avoiding the intense heat during daylight hours. Similarly, rabbits are crepuscular - yet it is not uncommon at all for them to adjust to a more diurnal schedule in captivity simply because all predation risk is removed, and they just adapt to their humans schedule.

Now, i'm not saying that we should all hold our hedgehogs up to the blinding sun, because removal of predation risk or not, nocturnal animals are sensitive to bright light. However, this does not mean that daylight in general is 'oh-so-incredibly-bad' for them. So long as you practice common sense and care, and listen to your animal if they show you that they are unhappy, I really fail to see anything wrong with bringing a hedgehog outdoors. I agree; it's a really great way to desensitise them, and get them overall more comfortable with people around them.

As for disease and parasite transmission; you can transmit this to your hedgehog regardless of if you bring them outdoors or not haha, but if this was something of genuine concern, it really is as simple as replying 'No' when someone asks to touch your hedgehog because the vast majority of these will be transmitted via direct contact.

I frequently bring my hog with me on outings, and she does not seem to have a single care about it in the world. So I do believe that some enjoy being outdoors, but like I said; this wont be the case for every hedgehog, so you just have to find what works best for them.
Mecki likes this.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in