Cutting Nails???? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cutting Nails????

Ok so I'm sure there are threads out there about this but for some reason I can't find them! So Henry's nails are so long!! He will NOT let me cut them! When he was a couple of months old, I was able to cut them, now he will NOT have it!! Anyone have any tips/tricks to help me be able to cut his nails?? I have tried to bribe him with his favorite baby food, but the second I get to his toenails he turns into a big ball of quills! The only vet here that will see hedgehogs, doesn't do nail cutting... go figure! Any help would be great! Thank you!

OctoberBride17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rescue

Default Re: Cutting Nails????

Try clipping them when he's in the bath, he'll be less likely to ball up then. You'll just have to out-stubborn him. That's how I cut my boy's nails. Good luck!
AlexONeil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

"You'll just have to out-stubborn him."

You've let a bad habit set in, so now you're just going to have to tough out changing the way you do things. Nails need to be trimmed regularly; it's not optional. I would recommend not looking at it as 'one big job', and focus more on minor, but very regular, clippings. There are only 14 nails. If you get a couple every few days, then the situation should rapidly improve.

My girl gets three foot and belly baths a week and this includes a nail inspection and clipping. I lift her up, put her back against my chest, hold a foot with one hand, and clip with the other. At first, she hated it; twisting and writhing every which way. Just getting a couple of clips without feeling like I might cut off a whole foot was a challenge. Eventually she learned and now I am able to easily handle her feet.

It will take time. Maybe a lot of time before the animal comes around to cooperating. Maybe never, depending on age and temperament. To other readers of this: start making minor clips as soon as you get your hedgie, and do so regularly. Get the animal used to the habit and things will be better for both of you.

At any rate, just do what you have to do to get a couple of clips every few days.
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dont be too polite, our fella can be a nightmare sometimes and just holding onto his leg firmly between the shafts of two fingers is the only way to do it. But honestly I think he only creates a fuss for kicks and giggles - I try to get them all done in one go or he has stability issues running round the floor - seriously! ever seen a hedgehog skidding on a corner :P

They do get long super fast.
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

I remember the first time I tried to cut my boys nails. It took hours. But then, my little sister suggested putting him in the sink! of course they unroll, and don't roll back up in there, so it works! you can use enough water so that they can stand up, or enough so that they can swim. the trick is though, to make sure that you have their leg at a comfortable angle for them, and that you hold on tight, but not too tight, so that there leg doesn't move, and you don't cut the quick or their foot. What I do if he is really squirmy, is just hold his foot until he realizes that he cant get away,and gives up. then I cut his nail. Good luck! and make sure that you have a bit of flour near by to put on his nail just in case you cut the quick. if you do, don't feel bad!

cinnicotsucre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

We have had Sammy for 6 weeks and I have not been able to cut his nails. He is way to squirmy. I only have regular nail clippers. I thought we could get one foot done after he play for 30 minutes, but he balled up as soon as I touched his leg.

How do I get him to lay on his back for a belly rub and foot massage? Sammy will not lay on his back out of his snuggle sack and he sticks his legs up against the sack. I thought I could get him used to this position to clip his nails. Our Pekes love to have a belly rub and foot massage ever since they were puppies. They are groomed every 6 months so they get their nails clip then. My husband wants to make a wheel with sandpaper cloth on the running surface. Is this a good idea?
ahowey472 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahowey472
My husband wants to make a wheel with sandpaper cloth on the running surface. Is this a good idea?
Terrible idea. Hedgehogs walk on the pads of their paws, not in a way that would put the nails in contact with sand paper. They also have sensitive feet to begin with, which can get raw just from excess running. Sandpaper on the wheel will tear up the pads of their feet, it won't wear down the nails.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
They are groomed every 6 months so they get their nails clip then
6 months :-O OMG ... our fella needs his done at a minimum every 2 weeks or he starts having problems running.
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've tried cutting nails during bath time, she will still try and ball up. Since her head goes in the water she just ends up coughing and snorting. This is what we now do and she has come to understand and accept it so when she is in a good mood it makes nail cutting a breeze! First off two people is required, one person to hold and the other to hold the foot and cut nails. For the holding part you use both hands and your hands mirror what the other does. Take your thumbs and flatten quills in the center of her back, take your fingers and put them on the edge of the soft tummy and quills, but actually on the soft part. Push down on your thumb while pulling back with your fingers. The other person can now cut the nails. They can still curl into a ball if they desire and if that is the case all of your fingers will be poked and inside the ball, so be prepared for that!
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for the advise. I was able to get them cut right after this post! I just put him in the bath and after a while of playing, he let me get ahold of his legs and I could cut them! The older he gets the more stubborn he is!

OctoberBride17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in