New to forum & ownership - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to forum & ownership

Hello everyone! I have a few questions I would like your input on! I got Buddy 2 days ago so I’m still learning Buddy’s personality and hedgie behavior. So the first night he did what I thought was typical behavior, slept in his hide and ran on his wheel (along with eat, drink, poop and pee of course). But yesterday and last night was different. He slept in his food dish a few times and I didn’t hear (or see) him run on his wheel much. I guess my main concern is, is he ok? Is this normal? 🏻 Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8138A68E-098C-426D-95AF-E124A88CEA85_1555752382430.jpg (99.3 KB, 24 views)
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

I think it might be a getting used to his surroundings.
Did his wheel have any sign of being used - like having poo on it ??
To he honest for the first like week, when they are settling they tend to change how they act. The first day I got Holly she slept in her hide then for the rest of that first week and half the second week that I had Holly, she would sleep anywhere but her hide, I started to put her back into her hide to get her to know she can go in there, just incase she thought wasn't able to, I dont know if it really helped but she did start sleeping in her hide !!

For the wheel if you have one like the Caroline storm wheel you could try change the tilt so its more upright, most people find that helps. Another reason for not using the wheel could be due to getting used to surroundings, and another reason could be the wheel is too small so he struggles running comfortably - This is a much rarer one though since most people get the right size wheel.

To be honest if he's eating and drinking still I wouldn't be overly worried about how he is acting for the first week or two while he's getting use to his new home.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Ria! He’s pooping, peeing and eating but no signs of wheeling last night. Poop is near his food dish. The wheel I got is what was recommended so I think I’m good there. His temp is 73-78, I think that’s what worries me most. Is it too hot, too cold? I know it varies by hedgie on what their preference is, but how do I know what his is?

Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Do you know what the size of the wheel is ?? They should be at least 12" anything smaller is too small.

That cage looks quite small, whats the dimensions ?? Most people like to get at least 2ft by 2ft. Holly's vivarium is 2ft wide by almost 4ft long
Zoozone 2 cages are exactly the right minimum size (I cant remember the measurements though)

As for heat, most hedgehogs like it around 74. (I'm working in degrees c here now) Holly likes her cage at 25 to 26.5 She can go down to 24.5 and be okay, but anything lower than 24.5 she gets too cold. Anything higher than 27 is too hot.
The way I could tell was I played with the temps. I started having it at 24 as thats what the breeder kept her at, but she didn't like it and tried to hibernate. So I just put it up, until I found the temps she was most active at so I kept it there and then just remembered it.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I’ll have to check dimensions of cage and wheel size to be for sure. I was though cage is good size for his while life. 😞 He’s only 7 weeks now. The wheel is the biggest they had. I’ll get back to you with the sizes later this morning, I have to go to work now. Also his temp has been at 75-77, when I first brought him home (and he was more active) it was lower, about 73-75. Maybe he prefers it at that? Quick question, how long have you owned hedgehogs?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey there! Sorry to jump in... it’s totally normal for them to switch up where they sleep (though I’ve never had one curl up in a food dish like that. Not gonna lie it’s adorable) lol. A lot of people who recommend hedgehogs as pets or even supplies for hedgehogs don’t fully understand their needs unfortunately. The house is a bit small, but the way you can counter that without upgrading (though I recommend) is to give him LOTS of out of house time to run around, whether it be on your bed, floor, or what have you.
As for heat, hedgehogs can prefer a range from about 72-80 so there’s definitely wiggle room. It sounds like he’s doing great, but it will take him upwards of a couple of weeks to fully adjust to his new surroundings!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

I'm not sure if the cage just looks a bit small in the picture, it could well be the right size. More toys may help him be a bit more active, it could be because its not very "cluttered" with things he which he may prefer. Tunnels and balls are good things to have in there even if they aren't used.
The plastic platform I know it acts a double platform and hide, but try taking it out and putting in a igloo hide, or something like that, and see if that makes a difference to him sleeping in or out of his hide.

The only way you can really tell what temp your hedgehog likes is by testing it. Try putting it back to the temp that it was when you first brought him home and see if he becomes more active.

I did research for like a year and half and have had hedgehogs for a year.
I've looked after friends hedgehogs and I've done bits for wild hedgehogs. Holly is my fist one from baby she's a year old today. I sorta adopted one from my friend when she ran out of time to look after him when he got ill, and I just did everything the way she had and for the medication ect, and then he ended up dying because it wasnt a fixable thing, but he died at 5 and I had him for about 7 months

Last edited by Ria; 04-20-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Emc

Do you have anything in that house for him to snuggle up in? Something like a blanket, cuddle sack, etc. I'd wonder if he's sleeping in the bowl because it gives him some sense of security; try offering him something to snuggle with in his house - even one of your old t-shirts, so he can get familiar with your scent.

Is his heat lamp connected to a thermostat? What's the wattage of the bulb? My concern is that it looks really, really high up and given that you have a barred cage, the CHE has to work harder to maintain appropriate temps. At night, the temperature could be dropping - controlled via thermostat or not - and he could be too cold to sleep anywhere else, so he's attempting to sleep directly under the heater. Do you know what his nighttime temperatures are reading?

Another possibility is that he could very well be stuck. I know it's not a steep drop, and some hedgehogs are fearless (and they have crappy depth perception) so will just leap off, but some appear to have some sense of knowing where the edge is and just being too afraid to get down.

He could just be confused, and will start sleeping in his house as he settles in, but I'd still double check is night time temps.

With regards to wheel activity; how wide is the running track?... It looks a little narrow; I'd recommend looking into bucket wheels, if you havent already.

I also don't know what his cage size is, but hedgehogs are incredibly active animals and the 2ft by 2ft minimum is wildly accepted by many to be outdated. The absolute minimum cage size is 4ft x 2ft, or equating to 8 square feet.
Mecki likes this.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

My first thought was that he was trying to get as close to the heat lamp as possible. Where is the probe for the thermometer? I have 2 separate ones for my tank and have noticed that one side of the cage can be a different temp than the other.

I agree that a snuggle sack would be a good idea -- some place he can curl up and be covered too.

I've also read that hedgehogs aren't too fond of open spaces. It is a good thing - for them- to have a more cluttered or filled cage. Tunnels, hideys, toys, etc. can provide both cover and interesting things to explore.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Last edited by Mecki; 04-20-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all your input, it’s much appreciated! I did research but then I got him and got in freak out mode! 😕 Ok, so his wheel is 12” and his home is L34”xW19xH23” (inches). I’m going to make him a few flannel hides now and remove that plastic thing in there. Only problem is he poops and pees at the top of the gray plastic thing near his food. Maybe dim flat sheets of newspaper in that area after I remove the plastic will work for him to do his business?
The temp in there at all times has been 75-78 (F) but when I first got him (and he was more active) it was about 72-74(F).
Thanks again for all your input!! 🙂

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in