New to forum & ownership - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Also he was sleeping in his hide this morning and when I got home he was back in his food dish.
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ria

You could get a little tray and use shredded paper towels or just use what your using as bedding for litter as well, if you put it under the wheel it will catch whatever falls off once he start getting more active the wheel will basically become his toilet area.
I wouldnt put newspaper there mainly because of the ink, if it gets really wet the ink starts running which can become dangerous.

Flannels arent the bet thing to use either, because of the way they are made they can get nails caught in the flannel very easy and get hurt. If you have a lot fleece blankets, you could turn one into a pouch - Cut it to a decent size then just sew it up to make a light pouch it wont keep itself open, but he'll be able to get in and out especially if you leave a fair bit of wiggle room, it will be far safer than using the flannel

I think he may be moving to his food bowl to get to the heat because under the plastic level the heat probably isnt getting in there well if at all.
That or he's waking up in the day to snack at the feed then gets lazy and just sleeps in the bowl !!. Although the first one seems a bit more likely than the second.

Try putting the temp to where it was when you first got him and then see how is goes.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Emc

Where is the probe for the thermometer and thermostat?....

My suggestions; you can remove the plastic hide, and offer him something like loose fleece blanket to snuggle in instead. Or place a blanket inside his house, whichever works best for you. Personally, I think it’s warmer for them to have a blanket pile under their heat lamp: it creates a warmer sleeping area, in my experience at least. I would also suggest to move the CHE to hang from inside the cage; I really cannot see how a CHE would heat a barred cage effectively from such a massive distance. But you absolutely must hook this up to a thermostat and monitor it with a digitital thermometer (that has a probe inside his enclosure) so you can see how warm your cage is getting. I don’t see any probes - which makes me concerned.

Most newspaper should be soy based, so ‘ink’ running shouldn’t be a huge issue.. albeit messy. However, if you want to be on the safe side: you can offer him something like a shallow baking tray filled with a safe litter (I.e wood based cat litter) to use as a litter tray. He’s still young though; so his litter habits may change, and he could prefer a different area once the house is removed.
Emc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

So this is his new set up. Kind of bare I know. I’m going to make him another fleece hide in a tube shape. I changed he food bowl to something smaller. He’s hiding behind his wheel now so I left him alone and I’ll check on him in a bit. I didn’t want to over stimulate him. Now that plastic thing is not blocking the heat. I hope this is better. Not saying that he wasn’t happy or things were bad. He was actually a little active now that I was moving stuff around. I was holding him for a bit and he was all squirmy.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

One more thing! I connected a thermometer with a probe in the cage and it’s reading 77F now. I was going to put heat bulb hanging inside but I was afraid it would get too hot.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Emc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddysmom View Post
One more thing! I connected a thermometer with a probe in the cage and its reading 77F now. I was going to put heat bulb hanging inside but I was afraid it would get too hot.
Yes, you need to get a thermostat. Using unregulated CHE bulbs is incredibly dangerous. Using a thermostat would ensure the temperate stays within an appropriate range; and it would never get too hot, nor too cold.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

PS he’s adorable
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

EMC, here is picture of thermometer probe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C6B27336-5933-46E1-B674-F13801B69EC0_1555804044238.jpg (122.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
PS he’s adorable
. Thank you! 😊
Old 04-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Emc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddysmom View Post
EMC, here is picture of thermometer probe.
Its great that you a thermometer! But you really need a thermometer and a thermostat. Your CHE bulb is awfully high and given that you already have a barred cage, at the height its situated at Im really wondering if its effective at all - especially a nighttime when the temperature will inevitably drop. To ensure the safety of your hedgehog, all heating equipment absolutely must be used with a thermostat; this will turn the bulb off when it gets too hot, and will turn it on when it gets too cold.
Mecki and belties like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in