Hates everything. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hates everything.

I have had thunder now for about 5 months now. I play with him daily. Bathe him the whole nine yards. But he is always so angry.

If we come in the room he is in he hides. We had him in our room but he would NEVER come out of his igloo if we were in the room. He still trys to run away when I try to get him out. When I let him out to explore ( ive tried all times of day and night) he finds a corner and balls up.

He hates baths. He doesnt like any type of treat. He doesnt like toys. He doesnt like toilet paper tubes. He freaks out if you even attempt to put him on his back.

Ive put different shirts or clothes in his cage to get him used to my smell. He didn't like any of them.

He will never just be calm around me. Let him sit with me in bed while he "wakes up" amd he just runs away to a corner.

Just his personality? I got him when he was about 10 weeks. Did I get a grumpy old man hedgie? Lol
Thunders_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

He sounds pretty normal to me. Many hedgehogs do not like to feel exposed nor like to be out in the light. Many don't like to really be touched or petted. It is more common in my experience for one to run and hide in their cage than to come out and try to interact with you. They are prey animals, and hiding is how they have survived in the wild.

You may need to adjust how you interact with him to see if your interactions get better. Some ideas for you:

If you aren't already, turn the lights down, dimming them may help the hedgehog feel better about being out. Instead of trying to put him out in the open, throw a blanket down and see if he will explore under it with you. I've had many where if I threw a blanket over us, or put on a larger shirt over my current one, they were happy to explore between the layers of cloth.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

He isn't angry, he's scared. Hedgehogs can take many many months before they become comfortable. Kalandra has given you great advice and with patience things should get better.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ours always hides if the lights are on when she is in her pen or out on the couch. They are very scared to be out in the light some times. I always tell people haveing a hedgehog is like liveing with an angry cactus lol. That is just the way some are . You just have to interact with them on their terms and maybe one day if your lucky they will be like OK now I like you human.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Keep spending time with your baby, don't be discouraged! Cecil would have sold me for one mealworm up until the end, but we developed a bond eventually and I could understand his behavior better. You will learn their personality over time and how to best handle them after they're more used to you.

Cecil would sleep anywhere, covered or not, and never tried to explore or play with toys. Penelope will run wild if given the chance, messes with a few toys, and burrows like mad. They always hissed when I took them out, but there were times of day they'd be less hissy than others. Both of them HATED bathtime. Point being, it really depends on the hedgie. Like Kalandra said, they are prey animals and haven't been domesticated for very long. Being on their backs especially is most vulnerable, so it really takes some time for some to be comfortable enough to uncurl that way.

Also, if I read correctly, your baby is about 7 1/2 months old now? He may still be quilling on and off, which always makes them grumpy.

moustachemoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in