Poor hedgehogs - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Poor hedgehogs

We went to a petshop and saw the cutest hedgehogs go through so much. Its day time and the two hedgehogs doesn't even have a house to sleep in, just a open tunnel. Both pictures, neither of the hedgehogs have wheels to run on. And the water of the hedgehogs are filthy!

Btw both are different cages.....

Just wanted to share with everyone.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Erik Pottas; 04-13-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Erik Pottas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

The first one does have a hide and the second one does have a wheel though. The wheels not very good for a hedgehog I'll give u that but its theres. In the second picture that hedgehog that you can see the clearest doesn't look very well either.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Im so glad we don't have petshops that sell hedgehogs here. I would've bought them all each time I see them in a pet shop.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm no expert on hedgehogs but I agree with Ria that the one in the second picture doesn't appear healthy... unless it is just very young?
The wheel appears useless -- way too small. How could the hedgehog run on that? I don't know that it would be physically possible.

Is it a chain petstore or a private one? Perhaps you could tactfully make some suggestions?

I also see tiny rabbits below the 1st cage. From what I can see they look too young to be sold (some states require that they be min of 8 weeks of age). I'm sure they are there for Easter sales - which drives me crazy since most are abandoned (to shelter or worse) within days or months of Easter.

@Brooke, you may have good intentions but purchasing pets from those pet stores that happen to get their pets from questionable sources (ie. pet mills) only encourages them to continue.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Emc

I think I'm blind - I can't see a wheel anywhere in the second enclosure, just a tunnel. I agree with the others; the hedgehog in the 2nd picture looks incredibly poorly, their skin looks so irritated.

Thankfully theyre not common in pet stores here, either. I wouldn't purchase any animal from a pet shop, period - I always adopt. It'd break your heart, the poor little guys
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

It doesnt look that young, it looks like its starved, where the other one looks very fat - I think the other is bullying the skinny one out of eating and then the skinny one is now so far underweight deprived of nutrients and looks generally ill.
To be honest I wouldn't buy any of them they will all have health issues of some sort by the looks of it.

Oh no I see I thought the tunnel was a wheel at first, looking closer I see it now.

My near pet shop puts signs up on the rabbits saying they are on break over easter, and they wont sell them for like 3 weeks before over or a week after easter.
They dont sell hedgehogs in pet shops around me. Most people dont really know you can have them as a pet though.

Last edited by Ria; 04-14-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc View Post
I think I'm blind - I can't see a wheel anywhere in the second enclosure, just a tunnel.
Now I'm wondering... The big hedgie is inside what I think is a wheel (2nd photo) that appears to be about 6" diameter. Maybe it is a dish turned on its side?? I do see a tunnel in the 1st photo.

Last edited by Mecki; 04-14-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
My near pet shop puts signs up on the rabbits saying they are on break over easter, and they wont sell them for like 3 weeks before over or a week after easter.
That's great! I've only seen rescues do that around here.

The larger chain pet stores don't sell rabbits at all -- they do allow rescues to sell through them at times.

It is the smaller pet stores that seem to stock up on extra rabbits right before Easter. Always makes me sad because I know the bulk won't make it.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

The larger ones and most smaller ones wont sell rabbits around easter. There may be a few smaller ones that will still sell them, but the more reputable ones dont.

If you look really close at the pictures, the other enclosure is seen in the first picture, the tunnel is in the second picture. The angle of the photo and where the hog is sitting makes it look like there is one of those wooded wheels in the second one but theres not its just that tunnel that you can see in the first one, you have to look really close to notice that.
There really is no wheel in either enclosure.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Emc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecki View Post
Now I'm wondering... The big hedgie is inside what I think is a wheel (2nd photo) that appears to be about 6" diameter. Maybe it is a dish turned on its side?? I do see a tunnel in the 1st photo.
It looks like an elbow PVC tunnel to me - you can see the shape of it in the first pic too. Glad to know I'm not blind hahah

In a perfect world they wouldn't sell any species in pet stores. It's really a shame that people don't do more research prior to buying ; if they were never bought, the pet stores would never stock them. I have four buns (1 adopted, 3 from ethical breeders) - I can only imagine the home they'd end up in if they ended up in a pet shop.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in