bag balm - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bag balm

Is it safe to use bag balm on my Ellie-May's ears?
Chelsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! I’d never actually heard of bag balm before tonight! I went ahead and did some research and by what I can see it looks safe for hedgehogs. There’s only four ingredients, all of which are organically occurring, and it doesn’t contain essential oils or fragrances (which can sometimes be a problem for hedgehogs). I’d love a second opinion to back this up or point out anything I’m missing, but I’d probably try it if I had any...
With that being said, I love coconut oil! It works great for dry skin, is 100% organic and non toxic, and duh it’s coconut so it smells good 🙂 you might consider giving this a try too if you have some on hand!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

So I've just looked it up. To be honest, I think the worse it may do is cause irritated skin if your hedgehog was to react to it. Which can happen to different hedgehogs with all kinds of things as it depends on the hedgehog. Check the ingredients and be sure that they dont change each time you get a new one just to be sure it doesn't change.
Although I love using coconut oil personally as I can be sure its always going to be safe the whole time is pure coconut oil.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Its ok to use. I've used it on several hedgehogs over the years. I'll give you one warning before you put it on your hedgehogs ears, do a test run with it. Put some on your hand and see how your hedgehog reacts. If there is interest, don't put it on the ears. Doing so will likely drive your hedgehog nuts.

I've used bag balm, nipple cream, unscented Vaseline and similar types of products over the years on ears. Each works and each has caused at least 1 hedgehog (if not more) to react. So do yourself and your hedgehog a favor and always test to see how they are going to react before putting it on them.

If your hedgehog has a build up on the ears and this is why you want to try the bag balm, another option (if your hedgehog will tolerate it) is to take a warm damp wash cloth and hold it on the ears for a bit, the warm moisture often will soften the gunk. Then gently use the wash cloth to encourage the gunk to come off. It usually takes several attempts (over multiple days) to get it off, but I've done this with a number of rescues who lived in substrate beddings and had long "fingers" of build up on their ears.
nikki likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you both, I think I'll go the coconut oil route like you both have suggested. That seems like a product everyone approves of. My Ellie's ears just recently started cracking on the top of them. How did your hedgehogs react to the smell of the coconut oil?
Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I like the wash cloth idea. Thank you for explaining it like that.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Hopefully it works for you. I usually find that their ears aren't really dry, but they have buildup of yuck on them. Its my preferred method of removing it as I don't have to worry about how I'm going to wash off the moisturizer from an upset, freaking out hedgehog if I put it on.

With that said, occasionally I have had a hedgehog that just had nasty dry skin. Test whatever you are going to use. I tend to lean towards flaxseed oil or vitamin e oil. Vitamin e oil is very sticky and harder to get on, flaxseed is sometimes too liquidy. Either way I try to put it on my finger and swipe it on.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Holly is fine with the coconut oil, she likes the smell, and hadn't reacted. But check with your hog first to see if yours is okay with it. I like flaxseed too, I'll use it on food once or twice a week. And it works for keeping the dry skin minimal to nothing. I like it when I have no coconut oil for ears too.
Even though most hedgehogs wont react badly you still need to double check yours wont react
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just wanna chime in, flaxeed oil is really amazing. I started giving it to Igor. First time he didn't like eating the food with it on, second time, he ate normally again. The scratching went down, I almost never see him scratch anymore. And no more flakes, or quill loss. I love the flaxeed oil, 10/10
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in