Cheap winter heating - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2019, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cheap winter heating

We are trying the cheapest way to help my hedgehog stay warm. I put three blankets on top of each other but the third one(brown) is electric. Will it in anyway harm my hedgehog. I can put it on its lowest setting( 1 out of 3). Will it burn her? Will it be too warm?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Erik Pottas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

If shes not directly touching it I cant see any risk of it burning her.
I'm not sure how well the heat will get to the cage though to be honest if its the top out of three blankets. But you can try it anyway, my only question is if you've got the blanket over her cage all day do you have a light source on a timer in there ?? As your blocking the day light with the blankets, although if its keeping the cage warm then it wont be a good idea to take them off in the day time, so having a light on the inside of cage on a timer will keep her day/night cycle better.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
If shes not directly touching it I cant see any risk of it burning her.
I'm not sure how well the heat will get to the cage though to be honest if its the top out of three blankets. But you can try it anyway, my only question is if you've got the blanket over her cage all day do you have a light source on a timer in there ?? As your blocking the day light with the blankets, although if its keeping the cage warm then it wont be a good idea to take them off in the day time, so having a light on the inside of cage on a timer will keep her day/night cycle better.
The blanket isn't working so will it just be OK to have the three blankets on top of each other and then a heater next to it? I'm just gonna turn the heater on at night cause it's warmer in the day. How long should I have the heater on? I have a timer, so how long should the timer run?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Erik Pottas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Remove the blankets. They will interfere with your hedgehog's light cycle. This in itself can cause hibernation attempts. They also reduce proper airflow.

If you are going to use a space heater, you won't need the blankets. You will need to invest in a thermometer and to frequently monitor the cage's temperature and adjust the space heater's settings frequently. You will have to run it 24/7 if the room's temperature is not within an acceptable range. Space heaters work well but if the room's temperature fluctuates frequently it will become a bit of work to get it adjusted correctly. While the cost of a space heater itself is relatively cheap, they are fairly costly to run electricity wise. Expect your electric bill to increase a lot depending on how cold of an environment you live in as you may need to run it 24/7.

Most likely the best solution for consistent temperature is to spend the money to invest in a proper CHE setup. CHE bulb, lamp, thermometer, and thermostat are costly upfront, but you get a much better system for consistent temperature control, and the electricity cost is minimal for 1 setup.
nikki, Mecki and belties like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in